Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #1

Share |

Cedar siding expansion question

Im replacing alot of my cedar siding, shake style this year and windows also. Regarding where the shakes come up to window and door trim, is there a minimum clearance I should keep for expansion ? Iv'e been pretty much replacing them this summer when the temp is at least 70deg F if not 80's, so Im inclined to think they wont expand much more than they already are. Ive been giving about 1/16 - 1/8 inch clearance so far between shakes and trims, then will be caulked with silicone based acyrlic caulk and painted. Does this sound about right? Thanks

creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

is there any type of flashing behind the trim boards? Felt paper, Grace shield.? I always keep the shingles tight to the trim . and I back caulk the shingles it looks a lot neater. I leave the expansion gaps at the key ways.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 07:50 AM   #3

Ive been using this product to flash over the nailing fins :
http://www.cofair.com/window.aspx , applied in order from bottom > sides > top, also using caulk under the nailing fins prior to nailing in the window. I make sure to have the flashing flap partially onto the window frame. The previous windows had no metal flashing and there is not any felt paper or house wrap on this house, built 1964.

Then im using pvc trim around the windows, a pure silicone flexible caulk for the gap between window frame and trim board. Im not clear on what key ways are? Another question regarding red cedar siding, is it ok for it to get rained on until I can get it painted? Thanks for the quick response, its raining here so no work outdoors today, just browsing over the forums today

Last edited by creamaster; 07-20-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamaster View Post
...im using pvc trim around the windows, a pure silicone flexible caulk for the gap between window frame and trim board...
For PVC materials, a urethane, or polyurethane caulk is suggested by manufactures. Silicone is not suggested.

Quote:
Im not clear on what key ways are?...
Keyways are the spaces between adjacent shakes or shingles.

Quote:
Another question regarding redwood cedar siding, is it ok for it to get rained on until I can get it painted?...
Yes, it's ok.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #5

These are the 2 caulks im using. The siding and trim is a modified silicone, says its ok for pvc, seems ok so far, the trim hasnt melted

The ultra caulk i plan on using where the cedar siding meets the pvc trim, will this be ok?

Picture isnt ment to be an advertisement, just to to show which product im using.
Attached Thumbnails
Cedar siding expansion question-0720080955a.jpg  
Old 07-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #6

Another question regarding redwood cedar siding, is it ok for it to get rained on until I can get it painted? Thanks for the quick response, its raining here so no work outdoors today, just browsing over the forums today [/quote]

Atlantic is CORRECT but let me clarify some things

YES and No. If the siding is already on the house , then its not a problem, if the siding is stored out doors unprotected and rained on. Then the installation will be somewhat different when you space the key ways Make them tighter 1/16", because of the absorption of water into the shingles. once the shingles dry out they will shrink back to the proper spacing.
You mentioned red wood shingles ? or are they red cedar or white cedar.
I did a job that another contractor finished and I had to remove all the Cedar 1x6 T&G siding because they installed the product wet. this product by CANFOR is stored in a dry location until it is installed. They had it sitting in the customers driveway for two weeks unprotected and came and installed it the day after it rained. well it went up fine and looked good for a week the owner stated until it started to dry out and all the nails in the tongues started to show through. some boards you could even see the felt behind the cedar. because they shrunk so much. With shingles you have a little more flexibility. just remember to keep all butts against window trim, corner posts tight. if your using the AZTEK or KOMA trim they do make it to where you can slide the shingles behind the trim. They supply a corner with a built in rabbit. looks nice and clean.
Good luck with your project and I hope this was of some use to you BOB
Old 07-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #7

Sorry about the confusion, they are edgewood western red cedar shakes, rebutted and rejointed 18". I have kept them dry, in my garage until I put them up, although it has been pretty humid around here lately, but for the most part they are as dry as I can keep them.

Them corners are tough, they are butted, not sure of correct terminology, where each level up you switch which side comes all the way out to the corner edge. I love it when I get the shake all planed to the proper angle, go to start the nail and SPLIT .
Old 07-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #8

AH! AH! western red, great choice. Plus the fact you are weaving the corners makes the corner much nicer. I don't know what nail your using for the corner , but may I suggest a 4p finish nail. you shouldn't have any problems with the shingles splitting. even with Hot dipped I use a stainless steel trim nail in my pas lode trim nail er for the corners.