Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cedar Planks?

My husband and I are purchasing a 1922 stick built home. In all of the bedrooms the walls are cedar tongue and groove. What type of cedar would be used for this ( I know for sure that it is not eastern red cedar, there are no white knots or patches) and would it be possible to remove the cedar and reuse it as flooring else where in the house? I do realize it is a soft wood but is bamboo softer?

Thanks

Last edited by cseibel05; 08-11-2008 at 05:00 PM.
cseibel05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Cedar Planks?

Not my field of expertise, but if you're sure it's cedar, it would seem to me it's an awfully soft wood for flooring. Harder woods such as oak and pine are normally used. If taken down carefully (it's most likely nailed through the tongue) it could be reused. I just don't think it's a good candidate for flooring. Someone may chime in and prove me wrong. It would make a great looking ceiling if it's not on the ceilings already.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cedar Planks?

Cedar is not used for flooring, except on decks. It is much too soft. Western red cedar is commonly used to make siding or beaded ceiling. But in 1922, it is hard to say.

You mentioned bamboo...It is as hard as a rock and makes excellent flooring.

The softest material used for flooring these days would probably be fir, which isn't very common in the flooring biz anymore.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Rewards Points: 250

Cedar Planks?

I love cedar... post a pic!

Chances are you will ruin the tongues removing in, in fact I would bet you salvage very little. Wood that old will be very dry and brittle. You could however, if you must remove it, rip off the tongues on the table saw and make some gorgeous molding perhaps?

No chance for flooring, it's even softer than southern yellow pine which IMO was the softest wood ever used for flooring and I dont ever see it used anymore.

...and yes bamboo is hard as nails and very durable... and also pricey; mostly due to the manufacturing process and low qty runs I would venture to guess.
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Cedar Planks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseibel05 View Post
( I know for sure that it is not eastern red cedar, there are no white knots or patches)
Cedar in 1922 looked much different than cedar does today. Those knots and white patches (sap wood) are caused by harvesting small, immature trees. When you see old growth cedar or fir it is much darker, with fewer knots - if any. I would bet that it's red cedar - it's the most recognizable. If it was yellow cedar, cedar of lebanon, cypress, etc etc, someone without prior experience wouldn't know it was cedar to look at it.
whiskeykid is offline   Reply With Quote