DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

cedar deck boards peeling

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jaros bros. 
#1 ·
I put in a cedar deck and put a clear stain on it. During the winter I brushed of the deck and now the broads are peeling. Does anybody know what what would cause this peeling?

#2 ·
You might have put the stain on too thick. You will probably need to remove it all, let it dry throughly and try again.
Did you wipe off the excess and any places it puddled? A few light coats are better then one heavy coat.
Did you put anything on top of the stain?
Ron

#3 ·
You might have put the stain on too thick. You will probably need to remove it all, let it dry throughly and try again.
Did you wipe off the excess and any places it puddled? A few light coats are better then one heavy coat.
Did you put anything on top of the stain?
Ron
I put a sealer on not a stain, if that makes a difference. It was water based. I also put two coats on. Not all the boards are peeling maybe I didn't put the sealer on to thick on these boards. It is the boards that are peeling not the sealer.

#5 ·
It sounds like you used a product that sits on top of the surface instead of soaking into the surface. Cedar doesn't allow bonding very easily because of the tannins in the wood, especially on a horizontal surface. Try sanding it all down because eventually it will all peel off. Try an oil based stain and keep the coats even and thin and you will have better luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.