Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

casing doorway when cabinets are real close

I am attempting to case the doorways in my kitchen. One of the doors have kitchen cabinets that go almost to the doorway. I am looking for suggestions as to how I can add the casing? Do I only case the top and open side? Do I rip the casing really thin and add on the small side? If I did add to the small side, would I leave a full piece of casing between the counter and upper cabinets where there is room?

I have attached pictures. Please help.
Attached Images

forschreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

it looks like someone's had this problem before, and went to a lot of trouble to corner bead and mud the corners, and paint the jambs a nice accent. looks like the jams are drywalled, right? i assume when you say you want to case it that you'd also be adding wood jambs? otherwise it would look much worse than it does to simply have casings on the outside with a drywall painted jamb.

anyway, there's no right or wrong here. it's pretty much what looks the best and what you want. from the picture it looks like someone did a nice job on those corners.
personally i would leave it exactly as it is.
what's on the other side of the door? is it cased?

the doorway already looks very narrow. otherwise you could theoretically add wood jambs and casings, in which case you'd have a little more room alongside the cabinet (about a half inch more).

so, bit of a doozy here. personal preference i think. if you were to case it, i would just do open side and top. it would look bad to have the casings interrupted by cabinets. like someone made a big mistake in layout.

if you were hell bent on going the distance, i would consider enlarging the door opening towards the fridge, adding a few studs and jamb to the left, to give yourself enough room for a full piece of casing next to the cabinets. maybe even consider making the doorway into an arched shape over the top and plaster it. it would look intentional and not naked without casings, as it does a bit now.
the project looks nicely finished, though.
leave it alone and forget it, is my advice.

good luck.

Last edited by wombosi; 08-05-2010 at 09:48 AM.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wombosi For This Useful Post:
unlvrebel (08-05-2010)
Old 08-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd scribe it and rip it. And, Yes, I would leave the casing full width between the countertop back splash and the bottom of the upper cabinets.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I agree with schmolze on this one. The drywall has been nicely finished. This entry wasn't meant to be cased. Architecturally, the only time I would case this is if I were casing the returns also. However, if this is something that you want to do for aesthetic reasons - you are putting in a lot of trim and it makes sense to case this door - you should only do the top and right hand sides. If you have full casing on the left hand side between the uppers and lowers it will not look right especially if you put up a full tile backsplash. Go with the top and right and deadend into the cabinet.
unlvrebel is offline   Reply With Quote