Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2010, 04:51 AM   #1

Share |

Cardboard Crown Moulding

tonight we got crown moulding for a room we are slowly refinishing. instead of wood, the moulding is cardboard.

It is hard to saw and i can't get a nice cut and only get shaggy broken cuts. it seems this stuff will swell with moisture and warp quickly.

first question, why can't i find wood crown moulding at Home Depot?

Second, won't this crap warp out of shape and fall off the nails?

rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #2

Cardboard Crown Moulding

That is hardboard(masonite) molding, and it works fine if not in a bathroom or steam room. It requires a good sharp carbide blade, and the dust is very fine, gets up the nose easily. It does sometimes bulge around nail heads, which may need to be sanded. And they also have wood molding, right next to the hardboard, available is clear unfinished or preprimed fingerjoint

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Drywall contractor

Cardboard Crown Moulding

Yep, every HD I've been in carries wood and MDF (medium density fiberboard). Bill is dead on that a sharp blade is necessary for MDF. I generally pay the extra few cents a foot for wood trim...
Old 06-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #4

Cardboard Crown Moulding

Okay. Thanks!

the hardboard cuts like cardboard when using a regular "saw." hopefully this will be the last project for a while. i'm thinking to rent a miter saw (w/ a carbide blade).

if you get a chance, i posted a thread about putting this crown moulding up onto a "gap." no kidding. there is brick below and plywood on top. there are 2"x6" running on top of the plywood. how in the world am i going to put this section of crown noulding up? i'd rather not use Mastic adhesive. i guess i'll have to get some really long nails and go diagonally upward. i considered putting 2"x4" in the gap, but access there is blocked off (an atrocious job by roofers years ago. they actually left the framework of the older smaller roof inside the now larger and higher roof. and i can't cut it out as they've used it as a frame for the new roof). maybe one masonry screw w/ a washer every 5' to hold it up while i nail diagonally and apply silicone to glue it in place. this is pay back for using a handyman to do a job that requires a professional. i wasn't here soooooo
Old 06-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #5

Cardboard Crown Moulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
Yep, every HD I've been in carries wood and MDF (medium density fiberboard). Bill is dead on that a sharp blade is necessary for MDF. I generally pay the extra few cents a foot for wood trim...
i'm thinking the same thing. return this hardboard and get wood.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
Drywall contractor

Cardboard Crown Moulding

If this is outside woodwork, I wouldn't use MDF at all. As Bill said, it is not meant for wet/humid areas.
Sounds like you need to rip a 2"x4" on a 45 and somehow attach in the gap between the two roofs to nail your crown to. A picture would help....
Old 06-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #7

Cardboard Crown Moulding

our home depot doesn't sell moulding this wide ~6"+ in wood. so we are stuck with the "hardboard."

we bought a slide compound miter saw but can't figure out how to tweek the Bevel adjustments to get at least a 0^o and 45^o angle cut. but we'll figure that out soon.

i guess the photo i tried to post didn't catch. here is one from the bottom: Cardboard Crown Moulding-dscf2875.jpg...
Old 06-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
Household Handyman

Cardboard Crown Moulding

"rosco" - -Depending on how much crown you may have already installed in this room: With this large gap at the top, get innovative. Try using more than one piece of crown, or other trim boards to create a design unique to your room. Even a piece of 1x4, or 1x6 laid against the wall with some type of trim attached can look nice. Go to HD, or Lowe's and lay trim on the floor to see what you can come up with. I see this done almost every day, even by custom trim carpenters with homeowners present to show them what can be done. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
rosco (06-21-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

Cardboard Crown Moulding

Thurman's suggestion is a good one. I actually did that in my living room, around my (brick) fireplace surround. I took a piece of regular 3-1/4" base and put it upside down on the brick with a few tap-cons so when the crown (I used 2-1/2") was up there was about 1-1/4' reveal of the base showing below the crown. The screws are hidden. This gave an added "profile" as well as covering the gap between the brick and ceiling. I only used the base around the fireplace, using just the regular 2-1/2" crown around the rest of the room. (I prefer the 2-1/2" on 8' ceilings, some like wider.) It kind of accents the fireplace and isn't too "busy" for the rest of the room. If necessary, the addition of another trim piece top and bottom could be used....
Old 06-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #10

Cardboard Crown Moulding

Page #170:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Czp...olding&f=false

http://www.google.com/search?q=insta...w&ved=0CBUQpwU

Be safe, Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 06-20-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
rosco (06-21-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 04:59 AM   #11

Cardboard Crown Moulding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
"rosco" - -Depending on how much crown you may have already installed in this room: With this large gap at the top, get innovative. Try using more than one piece of crown, or other trim boards to create a design unique to your room. Even a piece of 1x4, or 1x6 laid against the wall with some type of trim attached can look nice. Go to HD, or Lowe's and lay trim on the floor to see what you can come up with. I see this done almost every day, even by custom trim carpenters with homeowners present to show them what can be done. David

You are sent from the heavens! Thank you for bringing me outside of the "box."

to make sure i'm on the same page - i could use masonry screws w/ a washer to hold a board up agains the brick. this would provide a backing to nail the hardboard moulding up. it would be easiest to use a 1x4. to fill in the gap below, i'd use a piece of corner trim (the trim that is about 1" wide and is used everywhere in homes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
Thurman's suggestion is a good one. I actually did that in my living room, around my (brick) fireplace surround. I took a piece of regular 3-1/4" base and put it upside down on the brick with a few tap-cons so when the crown (I used 2-1/2") was up there was about 1-1/4' reveal of the base showing below the crown. The screws are hidden. This gave an added "profile" as well as covering the gap between the brick and ceiling. I only used the base around the fireplace, using just the regular 2-1/2" crown around the rest of the room. (I prefer the 2-1/2" on 8' ceilings, some like wider.) It kind of accents the fireplace and isn't too "busy" for the rest of the room. If necessary, the addition of another trim piece top and bottom could be used....
not sure i'm following. is it possible you post a photo of this or PM one to me? THX!

WOOOOOWWWWW! the first link is a book with photos of some amazzzzzzing trim work. I'm trying to fathom the amount of work and $ .....
Old 06-21-2010, 05:58 AM   #12

Cardboard Crown Moulding

here is a photo of what i'm thinking is suggested: Cardboard Crown Moulding-dscf2888.jpg

the moulding is 4 5/8".

here is another shot but i'd have to place a triangular cut board in back to hold it. that would be an expensive piece or sections of wood. here is a photo of that. along with the section below needing to be covered with corner trim: Cardboard Crown Moulding-dscf2889.jpg
by the way, does anyone know which side of that crown moulding is the top side?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #13
Household Handyman

Cardboard Crown Moulding

You are getting close now, I would use a wider board behind the crown so it would leave more reveal. The crown looks to be correct as to "UP", but the spring angle needs to be set. By using a wider board, secured to the brick as suggested before, you could nail the crown to the board with the nails also entering the space just above the bricks. With the extra reveal of the wider board you would have room to add some 1/4 round, or shoe mold, or anything which suits your taste. We're not talking major monies here either, and as stated-you may only need to dress out the fireplace itself to prevent overkill in the room. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
rosco (06-29-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
Concrete & Masonry

Cardboard Crown Moulding

I thnk the suggestion here is to use a piece of base moulding first under your crown. It's actually a fairly common practice in finish carpentry that I've seen, as it gives far more dimension & "mass" to the crown, w/o havign to spend huge amounts on massive crown. Here's a pic of what I (& BJB & Thurman I believe) are talking about:

Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled.bmp (79.1 KB, 87 views)
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #15

Cardboard Crown Moulding

i think that is what BJB did with his chimney brick but i'm pretty sure that Thurman was speaking of using lumber as backing. i've no idea how one would put the lower base into brick and if it could be, i'd have to use nails that are a 1/4" or less in length?