Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #1

Share |

cap on knee wall?

I am doing some work to my basement and am going to be installing a cap amd trim on thesurrounding knee/frost wall. the problem is whoever did the framing and sheetrock to finish the basement did a poor job and the top ledge is pretty wavy making it difficult to get the cap boards lined up. my question is what options are there to get this to work? I tried shims but that is such a pain unlike windows and doors. for that matter i have half a mind to cut the ends at 45 angles so i can adjust the boards but then i worry about the boards pulling up later on. i wish i had the time and money to rip the sheetrock out bit i dont.
vikingextreme93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #2

cap on knee wall?

Okay. When you say wavy, do you mean up and down wavy, side to side wavy, or both? Also, how wide is the top of the ledge?
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #3

cap on knee wall?

is wavy up and down like they did not do a good job measuring and just slapped on sheetrock with no top plate....the more i think about it the more i feel i may just be best off opening it up...but then i worry what i may find. Off the top of my head the wall is a bit over 6 inches deep. i should also elaborat that cutting 45 angles i meant so they overlap which could allow me to fill and sand as needed a little
vikingextreme93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Retired Cabinetmaker

cap on knee wall?

A picture is worth a thousand words. Post some photos and we will be able to advise you better.
There is a solution to this problem

Mike
mae-ling (07-18-2012), PaliBob (07-18-2012)