Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #1

Share |

Can You Install Any Cabinets in a Garage

Is it ok to pick out some good priced cabinets from home depot or lowes (regardless of what they are designed for) and buy them and install them for your garage?
Perhaps cabinets that might be on sale? like a white laminate?
Or do you need special cabinets for a garage?

I have an unfinished garage....and a low budget and alot of clutter....I need to organize it badly...
Attached Thumbnails
Can You Install Any Cabinets in a Garage-p1030321.jpg   Can You Install Any Cabinets in a Garage-p1030322.jpg   Can You Install Any Cabinets in a Garage-p1030324.jpg   Can You Install Any Cabinets in a Garage-p1030325.jpg  

limitdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
fabrk8r

Yes, you can install pretty much anything that works for you.

Since you are on a budget may I suggest watching your local craigslist. You can usually find someone doing a remodel who will give you an entire set of used kitchen cabinets for free if you haul them away. A nice advantage to using a complete set of kitchen cabinets is that the cupboard doors supply dust free storage and it will usually come with a counter top or two, allowing you to cover with heavy plywood for a nice workbench with storage underneath.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

I scored my garage cabinets (and a stainless sink) from my neighbors when they renovated their kitchen. The contractors brought them over to my garage, because that way they didn't have to haul them to the dump. They are solid wood 1950s cabinets. I scored some corian countertops at the Habitat Store in my area.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #4

I've picked up 2 sets of kitchen cabinets for free off craigslist
One set is being used in the pool cabana
The other set will go in the garage
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Household Handyman

I acquired some really good all wood cabinets by contacting a local cabinet shop to offer to buy some units pulled out of a house when they put in new ones. They had a job to start in a couple of days and told me where to be with my trailer. Due to insurance, on their part, I could not help remove the cabinets. Once they pulled them outside the house, they were mine--Period! These were nice cabinets with doors, so I just sanded them lightly, painted them a brown color and they look great in my shop. They called me later asking if I needed base cabinets, Heck Yeh! Same story, go to the job site and wait for them to put them outside. I got the cabinets, the counter tops, and a double kitchen sink. Just to haul them away for them. "One call-that's all". David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #6

I would advise against buying the cheap pressboard type cabinets. In an unheated garage the tops and shelves will warp like crazy. Go for the rehabed all wood ones.
merle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I've picked up 2 sets of kitchen cabinets for free off craigslist
One set is being used in the pool cabana
The other set will go in the garage
How often to you have to watch for decent freebies? I've seen you mention quite a few things you have picked up.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #8

Habitat for Humanity, Restore, or whatever charitable venture is in your community is where I always try first. They usually have what I need for garages or people on an extreme budget, as well as the fact that all monies raised go to a very worthy cause. Try them first and you may be surprised at what you find.

Trainer019 is offline   Reply With Quote