DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can Shenandoah Cabinets from HD hold weight for book cases/home Office?

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  clasact 
#1 ·
Hi, List...
I am a newby. We are closing on our house 12/20....and trying to decide on book cases, desk, cabinets, for a home office. We will have a wall of bookcases and cabinets. HD came up with
Shendandoah Cabinets to cut cost. We are wondering if this product will be able to hold a lot of books, files. If anyone can give me an idea, I sure would appreciate it. We are concerned about the shelves bowing and also looking nice. I have not seen this one yet, as we were looking at Kraftmaid, which is pricey. Also, these cabinets are made for kitchens and I don't see any information about home office use. Any other ideas, cabinetry, would be most appreciate. Thanks.

#2 ·
I just installed IKEA cabinets in my Kitchen. They look great, were inexpensive, easy to assemble and install, and seem pretty bomber. Box construction is melamine-coated 3/4" particle board and they offer tall cabinets that would look great in a home office. Just a thought.

#3 ·
Kraftmaid is a pretty decent line of cabinet, not custom, but decent. The knockdown HD stuff is below my standards by far. I don't know this line personally but here's some info.

If it is just a 3/4 board and is press board, particle board, or even solid wood (eventually) and there is not a 'stiffener' on the front face of it, it will sag. Of course, the lenght of the board is a big factor. A strip of wood glued to the front face of the board (about 1 1/4-1/2") gives you a lot more strength. You still can't go over 3' reliably though, without some support in the middle.

#4 ·
I am not sure where you are from but you might check into seeing if you have a kraftmaid or other brand of whearhouse store in your area.We just happen to and from what I can tell their is no or very very little defects with these cabinet and it was a fraction of what the box store sells it for or anyone else ei..350.00 dollar base for 35.00 dollars had only one minor scrach on the side and no one was going to see it anyway . just a thought

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.