Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #1

Share |

Can I use Microlam for Jack Studs? (Enlarging Door Opening)

I have new patio door I want to install. the old door has a 70" rough opening but the new door needs a 72" opening. If I removed a Jack stud from both sides of the door I would have plenty of room for the new door but I am assuming the jack studs are there for a very good reason (like stopping the outside wall from collapsing)

So I see myself as having two options:

Remove all the sheetrock Brace the wall and then remove the old header, jack studs and king studs
and replace it all with new correctly sized materials or

replace the 2 jack studs on each side (approx 3" x 3.5" x 68 long) with 2 pieces of microlam 2" x 3.5" x 68 long
That would give me the slightly bigger opening I need but I wouldn't have to remove and redo the header and king stud (or the sheet rock)

Midcrolam is supposed to be 50 times stronger than regular lumber so I would assume it would be even more sturdy than before.

Will this work and save me a bunch of bother?

Any comments?

Kevin

Kevin8565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #2

Microlam (LVL) can be used for studs. It is stronger than dimension lumber in span situations and is more dimensionally stable. Not 50 times stronger though!

Here's the problem with your situation. Your header over this door opening is made of dimension lumber (2x10) I assume. With a 7' span, you need two studs worth of bearing at each end, that's why you have two trimmer studs. The requirement for two studs is based on the loads that a header of that length is probably transferring downward, combined with the potential deflection of the header.

That being said, I don't see much real-world problem with what you're proposing to do. I may be a bit of a hypocrite, because as a building inspector, I'd turn it down if I saw it done in a new home. So maybe I'm giving bad advice, but it will work fine. Sometimes remodeling situations dictate the rules a little bit. If your work involves an inspection, you'd better sell this to the inspector before you do it.

I haven't ever seen 2" thick LVL. Here, it is 1-3/4" thick. Maybe that varies regionally.

Just be sure that you get a really tight fit under the header and to the sole plate with your new studs...No gaps!

Last edited by Termite; 04-24-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #3

Thanks, I appreciate your suggestions.

I am not sure of what dimensions of LVL they sell locally. But I should be able to use two pieces to create a 2" x 3.5" x 68 long "Beam"

I wonder if they sell metal studs?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #4

Don't even consider metal studs for this application.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Home Remodeler

I have never seen a patio door that required a 70 inch rough, but I quess it is possible. If it were me I would order a new door to fit and be done with it.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey48 View Post
I have never seen a patio door that required a 70 inch rough, but I quess it is possible. If it were me I would order a new door to fit and be done with it.
That is because you have never lived in a home built by "Good Value" homes in Minnesota. You wouldn't believe some of the weird things I have come across as we have been doing all this remodeling! When we replaced all the interior doors, I was amazed to find that most of them were only attached to the studs with a total of 2 nails! Apparently nails were expensive back in 1987.

Anyway, due to the particular style of patio door and matching transom window we wanted, we really only had one choice of what to buy.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:30 PM   #7

If the name "Good Value Homes" didn't tip you off....
Old 04-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
vectravl400

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post

I haven't ever seen 2" thick LVL. Here, it is 1-3/4" thick. Maybe that varies regionally.
The company I work for makes LVL out of pine and fir in thicknesses up to 2". From what I understand, most of our competitors make it too.

vectravl400 is offline   Reply With Quote