Can I Replace This 2X4"? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Can I replace this 2X4"?

I have some crawl space under a staircase, so it's "ceiling" is 45 degree-sloped. The depth of the space at the bottom is about 50". Width is about 32" with the 2X4 splitting it in half. Height is 30". I want to install some type of heavy-duty slide-out shelving, but I have the supporting 2X4 that splits the space in half. I prefer to have one shelf, not two, so can I remove the 2X4" and replace it with some type of additional support e.g. along the sides of the crawlspace?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Can I replace this 2X4"?-img_7689.jpg  

Advertisement

ilyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Can I replace this 2X4"?

Depends upon how the stairs were built, stringer size & support
You could probably put a header & jack studs on either end for support

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Can I replace this 2X4"?

How much space do you have above...meaning above what you have pictured....or, how much higher does the 2x4 extend beyond the pictured opening.

You could put in a small "header" if you have room. This will support the area, once you remove the stud, if you have room.

J
Jay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #4

Can I replace this 2X4"?

Thanks, I'll take a look when I get home.

A side question: I just found a perfect pressure treated board that someone apparently threw away (or it fell off the truck). Can I use it construct the header and jack studs? The only thing I am concerned about is, since the board would not be buried under drywall or similar, whether the board will give out any bad fumes/odors.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #5

Can I replace this 2X4"?

post some pics of it....along with the inside of the area you first posted.

I don't know whether you're talking about PT 2x4's or not, but for the nominal cost, and the "back of the head" worrying, just get some non-PT stuff if applicable.

J
Old 09-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Can I replace this 2X4"?

Since a shelf that wide may well be prone to sagging, would you not be better off to go ahead and make two drawer sections, leaving the stud in place?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #7

Can I replace this 2X4"?

I'm surprised it took you this long to chime in willie
Old 09-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #8

Can I replace this 2X4"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Since a shelf that wide may well be prone to sagging, would you not be better off to go ahead and make two drawer sections, leaving the stud in place?
Willie, I did think about this. I am wondering whether it is possible to accurately estimate, based on the size of the shelf, the material it's made of and the weight it has to hold, how much it will sag.

One reason for making two rather than one is I will lose less space with one. Another is that it's less work and the workspace will not be as crammed. The third is that the sliders that I found are pretty expensive:

http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm?GroupID=Cabinet%20Drawer%20Slides&CatI D=Drawer%20Slides%2C%20KV%20Heavy%20Duty%20Full%20 Extension

Old 09-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 270

Can I replace this 2X4"?

That 2x4 looks like support for the center stair stringer. I'd do as already mention and cram a small header as high as you can.
I'm not certain using that piece of pt lumber will give off any more fumes than that stuff you have stored in there.
But I'd buy 1 2x4 & 1 2x6(for the header) for piece of mind.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,010

Can I replace this 2X4"?

I'd cut the center stud out completely and watch the deflection (if any) on the stairs as someone else walks on them. With those wide solid wood risers, You may not need a header. Add one later if it sags under weight, after adding more nails in the risers/treads area.
Another option is just add a 2x4 to each side of the center stringer, just below the risers. Span from floor to high as you can alongside the stringer, no header needed--- only if it sags or for peace of mind.

Gary
Old 09-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #11

Can I replace this 2X4"?

I'm with GBR.
the 2X4 should be redundant there, unless what i'm looking at is either the landing or the top of the stairs.
the center stringer is self supporting. in fact, even if you completely removed the center stringer, you could still walk up the stairs.

could be the stairs are very long, and someone decided to slap a 2X4 in there just for grins. if so, really it should be in the middle of the span of the stringer, but obviously no one wants to block the closet.

you could maybe put in a header between the innner/outer stringers, someplace in the middle of the stairs up high. then definitely remove that 2X4.

Advertisement

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote