DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Carpentry (
-   -   Can anyone identify this planking (Picture Included) (

matthud 09-24-2012 11:07 PM

Can anyone identify this planking (Picture Included)
I have a lot of this planking around a room in my house. It is installed vertically right to the studs. I have rebuilt a small staircase where this planking met the side, so I need to replace some boards. Does anyone know what this planking is even called? Or a place to find it?

joecaption 09-24-2012 11:39 PM

I would go to a real lumber yard not a box store and have them order it for you.
Hope your sitting down when they give you the price.

gregzoll 09-25-2012 07:27 AM

Car Siding.

notmrjohn 09-25-2012 10:11 AM

matt, is this interior or exterior? What is finish? What's the width of that plank? 8" ? What is your location? (another speed key) Menards, which we ain't got, has pine 1X8 14" for around $9.
Other big boxes have "whitewood" 1X6 8 foot for $6. These are "#2 or better" some will have knots, but you can pick and choose, maybe find some without any or in cut off places. There are plywood panels that mimic the stuff but they are not appearance grade and have to be painted.

Looks like that piece was face nailed. Which sorta defeats one of reasons for tongue and groove, unless that was the starter piece. ( other reason for T&G so gap doesn't open between planks from shrinkage) Were there no horizontal furring or nailing strips behind it? Mite want to add some on your project. Nail thru tongue with casing nail, ( like finish nail but slightly bigger head) or finish nail gun, angled toward board you are installing, set nail, slide groove of next board over tongue. Snug but not too tight.

Here's E-bay listing at $1 a foot, guy sez he has other species, Google Car siding, box car siding, Tongue and groove siding.

matthud 09-25-2012 03:42 PM

It is interior. That surface you see is exactly how the finish is. The grain is physically raised to the touch, and its clear, no knots. The previous homeowners chose to paint this surface dark green. The plank is 7 1/2" wide, 3/4" thick, 3/8" tongue.
They were face nailed because there was baseboard and crown moulding covering the nail heads(run vertically). This piece was actually hidden behind trim work at the bottom of the stairs, which is why its unpainted with the extra holes in it. It reaches from the header to the footer 2"x4" on the interior walls(entire wall, instead of drywall).
The thing that is throwing me is the textured grain surface of the planks, I don't see any reference to that style anywhere.
I am in NY State.

notmrjohn 09-25-2012 04:29 PM

"The grain is physically raised to the touch" that explains the pits in surface, I was thinking they were pores in wood and had me wondering about species. The planks were sand blasted to raise grain. Well, actually to lower the softer wood.
You can get a similar though not exact appearance with wire brush in drill and careful attention.

Try some sandblasting co.'s in your area.Buy a few planks, cut them down to say 2 ft, have companies try to match your samples. You can also rent sandblaster yourself. Or buy cheap one for this job for about same as rental, if you have compressor that will handle one.

I think the grain is gonna raise cain with finding any, any place not so noticable you can remove some and swap with what you can find and modify?

Googling raised grain car siding got results of where to park box cars in agricultural areas. Sandblasted same resulted in paint removing.

notmrjohn 09-25-2012 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whadda ya think of this, sorry best pic I could find, its a cement fiber siding panel. CertainTeed brand. V grooves on 8" centers.

A list of dealers to call and go see actual panel.

matthud 09-25-2012 04:51 PM

I own a sandblaster, but my cabinet is probably not large enough to fix the length of board that I need. What species do you think that is?

Was that a common design technique in the 60's, sandblasted wood?

notmrjohn 09-25-2012 05:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You have a blaster! Now how did I know that?
I think its pine. Is the other side raised grain? A pic of that side might help. Pine is soft easy to blast, you should be able to put small dent in it with finger nail. Try a few pieces back side, with blaster,. I don't think it will take much blasting. Can you set up in back yard some where? Lay out a tarp to catch and reuse sand? You don't have to worry about toxins or anything, as you would if removing paint.

Pine is what you will find at HD most likely anyway, if you're going to paint it, it doesn't much matter. Take a look at some, buy a short piece, see how sandblasting works. Blasting wood to get "rustic" look goes in and out of fashion, depending on locale and setting and style of home. Are you in woodsy or lake region?

Here's couple of pics pine grain, but its hard to tell from a pic anyway.

kwikfishron 09-25-2012 05:46 PM

199 Attachment(s)
Looks like channel siding to me, probably Eastern White Cedar. A pic of the top half of the board would help to id the profile.

I don’t know why anyone’s talking about sandblasting for. :wink:

notmrjohn 09-25-2012 07:52 PM

Profile is same at top as at bottom.
Car siding, box car siding, channel siding, lap siding, and other names.

Sandblasting, brushing, torching, steaming, chemicals (acid), natural weathering, possibly plain water only ways I know to get raised grain like that.
I guessed sandblasting from pits in wood. Common automated way for mills to make raised grain. Matt has blaster so can buy pine or "white wood" at HD and raise grain. I use wire wheel since i do not have blaster.

Could be cedar, very common siding, I dunno can't really tell from photo. Going to be painted, interior, pine is cheaper.

Hardwood Head 10-22-2012 11:27 PM

I believe this is a Pine or Dougla Fir and lumber yards would refer to this as a rough face siding. You will not find this at box stores, specialty lumber store in your area should carry this.

ddawg16 10-23-2012 01:15 AM

Home Depot carries comes in 2 different widths....that looks to be 6".

There is also a T&G version.....

One side is smooth...the other rough.

notmrjohn 10-23-2012 10:07 AM

This is not rough siding. Rough siding is un-planed, it shows saw marks. This is a raised grain or artificially weathered siding. It does not show saw marks, it was planed, then the grain was raised, actually softer grain was lowered

Nor is it regular two sided, note V grooves on bottom, those are not just another decorative side, they are anti-cupping grooves so siding will lay flat

shazapple 10-23-2012 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 59288

Figured this was appropriate :laughing:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1