Can Anyone Here Help Me Build A Door? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can anyone here help me build a door?

My DW wants a new solid wood door made out of 2x4's (her words) held together by black heavy wrought iron work, to replace our existing front door that has a large piece of glass in it. We do live in the woods, and frequently do have hunters out here, so I do understand her concern. I'm just not sure how doable it is to build my own front door and not have it look like a 3 year old put it together. She has rejected the fiberglass and metal doors.

I have searched the internet with no luck then I found this forum. I sure hope someone here can point me in the right direction. She has been watching too many videos on home security. I admit we should replace the front door and even the locks but she wants something that looks like it came right out of an old castle. I was thinking about sandwiching plywood and gluing a thin wood veneer to the front, to make it appear as though it was 2x4's, but with a nicer woodgrain finish, I'm not sure if that will work with the thickness and all. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

daddydoright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Go to an antique shop, buy an old solid oak door, and affix wrought iron to the front of it. That door will be multiplied times stronger than anything you can build.

Just keep in mind that - regardless of how strong the door itself is - if it's not bolted firmly to the house, it can easily be kicked off the hinges or simply destroy the jamb.

Advertisement

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #3

Thanks Man! That's a great idea! I have been trying to work this out in my head, and searching the internet for plans. She has the crazy notion that I can build anything! I have built a few things but doors, MY Lord!,...... I have trouble hanging doors properly. Thanks again, this should work.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

I really like Dr.Hicks suggestion--Building a door that stays flat and works well is rather advanced wood working. Dressing up a slab sounds like a good project.

If you have a small saw mill close by--you can get some beautiful woods at very fair prices--

Google sawmills and your location or check here Nelsonwoodworks.biz - Home

Also click on the woodworking forum at the bottom of this page.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddydoright View Post
Thanks Man! That's a great idea! I have been trying to work this out in my head, and searching the internet for plans. She has the crazy notion that I can build anything! I have built a few things but doors, MY Lord!,...... I have trouble hanging doors properly. Thanks again, this should work.
There's your problem man! Take some advice from a guy who has been married nearly 30 years... If you do too many things too well, she'll love you for it but she'll keep expecting bigger and better. And let's face it, there's a big part of us guys that wants to just sit around and be lazy!

Actually, I did the very thing I suggested on our "built in 1928 brick house," except without any wrought-iron. The antique oak door is absolutely beautiful. It's about 2" thick, and the frame is original - which means it's about 3" thick. I put 2-4" heavy screws in each hinge, as well as the jamb. While it is entirely possible for somebody to break the door in if the want to badly enough, they're going to have to want it pretty bad!

Last edited by DrHicks; 02-17-2011 at 07:49 PM.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #6

Yeah,..... but when momma's happy she sure makes daddydoright happy! hehehe

I'm gonna check out antique stores in the morning and hopefully find just the one!

Thanks man!

Advertisement