Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

camping platform

hi guys
I am building a camping platform for the kids in the back garden using some recycled wood underneath and the surface will be some OSB .

OK, my question is which is type of wood protection would you recommend I use for OSB sheets, I am asking this question because I have moved Croatia, where there is not a lot of choice and there is the language barrier to read instructions.
Only Sadolin and belkin are recommended here and I have never used both...I am wondering whether to use "Sadolin base", but have no idea if I can just use that alone...because I want to make up my own stain!
Has anyone used "Belkin" for wood protection

I live in the mountain area and the weather is a factor, with heavy snowy winters to hot,very sunny summers and windy, rain days inbetween

on another topic, if anyone has a homemade recipe for wood protection that can protect against mountain weather...please post!

dennis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

camping platform

is there any way to get treated 1/2" or 3/4" plywood for the project? if you had no other choice Advantech subflooring would be better then average osb and I have no idea what to use to extend its life outdoors

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,030

camping platform

OSB laying flat is not going to last well in the rain.

Treated ply with indoor outdoor carpet?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

camping platform

I would use just about anything besides OSB outdoors. If you have recycled wood make a plank deck. OSP is just not going to withstand water. If you have to use OSB, paint, seal, treat, both sides and every edge of each piece. Don't skimp on bottoms just because you cant see them, that's a reason to really make sure its well coated.
Can't help you on products you mentioned, even Google doesn't seem to have heard of belkin. Don't know what you have available over there, CIA page does says Croatia is a producer of chemicals and plastics. I'd recommend some oil based finish. Here is where the old saying, "Several thin coats are better than a few thick ones." is really true. And the first few coats should be thinned down so it really penetrates.
Most "homemade" wood preservatives, for folks that have trouble finding "real" stuff that I know about are things you don't want around kids, or any one else. Ranging from creosote to used crankcase oil. Could be the Peace Corps has some info on that, they're always tryin to figure out how to do things on shoestring budget with materials at hand.
Several applications of boiled linseed oil, ( do they grow flax there?) letting each penetrate and "dry" before next, helps prevent rot and drying of wood. Its lenghty process waiting for it to "dry", needs periodic rejuvinating application. Alone it doesn't doesn't provide much protection against surface water or weathering so needs to be top coated with an oil finish, which also prevents linseed oil from getting on kids. CIA says Croatia is producer of rape seed, it can be used same as linseed.
Sorry I can't really help you out, Find something besides OSB, some sort of simple roof over top would help, even if no more than a tarp. Seems like your trying to use limited materials you have on hand, used and recycled stuff. The OSB may last a few months while you scrounge up something better.

Last edited by notmrjohn; 09-05-2012 at 12:30 PM.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,152

camping platform

No form of sheet goods will work.
Even pressure treated with a carpet over it is not going to work.
For one thing it will never dryout, and will mold up, it will delaminate, you would also need ACQ fastners to attach it. Something like Monel staples.
I've seen many a screen room where they tryed this and they all failed.

OSB will just fall apart within a year.

You need 5/4, or 2 X 6 pressure treated lumber for the decking.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

camping platform

Sorry notmrjohn...I meant Belinka

Thanks everyone for your replies...very thought provoking!
dennis43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Bombastic Idiot

camping platform

Belka-Belinka still can't help. Somewhere is a Euro-counterpart to this place. Now Bilenka I have used. Use enough vodka while building your project and you won't care what other materials you use. I prefer Bourbon, Scotch, or Tequila, but like I said before, sometimes you just have to use whatever you can scrounge up. Beer's good too.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 81

camping platform

Well, you can always move to another country that has a greater selection on building materials. Forget OSB. It is not designed for your intended use. And if you did put a preservative on it, it won't work. Osb sheating when wet or exposed long term to moisture will breakdown the bonding resins(glue). It also expands & contracts at different rates from the center of the sheet to the outer edges.

Don't you have pressure treated decking planks over there. Or if you can afford it & have it there, you can use composite decking boards, or PVC.
Now that I think about it, if it were me, I would move to a place that has a Home Depot or Lowes & knock myself out.
maddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
Bombastic Idiot

camping platform

"...I would move..." They'd probably be glad to see you go. Especially since in another thread where you got on your high horse, you said, "As far as buying supplies & Lowes or HD, forget about it."
Old 09-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #10

camping platform

What's wrong with you folks on this website. Geez! You have no sense of humor whatsoever. And if you read the other replies to his OSB question you would laugh your butt off about the one involved with drinking.
Lighten up out there....Please. Don't you see the humor in this stuff. How do you get thru the day. And furthermore, everybody needs a Home Depot or a Lowes now & then. So what the Devil is your point. Here's a suggestion. Maybe he could move to Norway or Sweden. I understand they have fantastic trees up there. Now don't go getting a splinter over it.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Bombastic Idiot

camping platform

As a matter of fact i did happen to see "the one involved with drinking." Did you happen to see who posted it?
Why should dennis move, the Balkans have fantastic trees and are a major producer of timber and related products. He doesn't need HD or Lowes, OBI is 4th largest DIY retailer in world, stores all over Europe. The Balkans were just beginning to recover from a particularly gruesome war, when the economic crisis hit. Who knows what conditions are like in his particular area? Who knows why dennis is there? Maybe he is releif worker or missionary, trying to get by with scrounged materials. maybe is an entreprenuer getting rich in rebuilding the finacial situation in the area.
But maybe you are correct, maybe there is something wrong with us folks on this website. Before I decided to open a can of snark on ya, I did a quick scan of some of your posts, just to see where the snark lay. Talk about a sense of humor, absolutely hilarious the way you ask for advice and then argue with the folks on this website who give it. Whassa matta? Haven't been able to go fishing? Got a trolling motor out in the garage, just wasting away from non-use? The way you so flatly and definatly said to forget all about HD&Lowes, and then contradicted yourself saying every one needs one now and then had me ROFLMAO. I mean which one of those is the Devil of your point? And that's my rant for the month. You have a nice day now, and keep laughing.

Last edited by notmrjohn; 09-10-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

camping platform

And...back on topic.

If I were taking this project on, I would definitely stay away from flat goods. Composites are forever (we think) but there are some really nice outdoor wood types around too. How long do you need this platform to last anyway?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
Bombastic Idiot

camping platform

Not to argue with yall, joe and 1910, just a piece of info. To keep it short,(every body falls over in shock) I have personal knowledge of a "deck" covered with 6 sheets of pressure treated 3/4 plywood that withstood 5 years of complete exposure, then I hit it lightly with floor sander and it became subfloor under 3/8 underlament of room addition. That was 10 years ago, no body fell thru yet. I am wondering if this "camping platform" is the floor of a tent, like the ones we set up each year for scout summer camp. Just mini 5/4 PT plank potable decks, or duck boards. all kinds of critters get under there, cause great commotions, excitement and uproar amongst the city boys at night.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #14

camping platform

My point proven. If you or anyone here can devote the time to look up a complete strangers posts, and sit there and try to to analyze the "where's, what for's & so be it's" you really do need to get a life. Speaking of which, do hope you enjoy that little putt putt, wasting away in your garage or wherever. It's Sept. 11 & it's also 9-11 if you understand that.
I have a 64 foot Hat. yacht in the Rockland marina on the Hudson. Yes, I DO own it, and it's paid for, and I pay cash to fuel it up. Not bad for a 32 year old contractor who dosen't know anything, ya think? Not bad for a guy with a sense of humor & half his brain tied behind hios back so as not to embarass anyone. So now I will cast off my Spring lines & shove off down to The NYC harbor, about an hour's run from here, to see the Trade center site from the harbor. Have a nice day!

Here's one for you to think about. What's the longest continueous single line on a ship? Why don't you think about that, while your out looking for that 5/8" adjustable wrench.

Golly Gee. I wonder if they will ban me again for having a sense of humor & not taking any of this stuff so seriously as the rest of the cramudgeons.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,000

camping platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
My point proven. If you or anyone here can devote the time to look up a complete strangers posts, and sit there and try to to analyze the "where's, what for's & so be it's" you really do need to get a life. Speaking of which, do hope you enjoy that little putt putt, wasting away in your garage or wherever. It's Sept. 11 & it's also 9-11 if you understand that.
I have a 64 foot Hat. yacht in the Rockland marina on the Hudson. Yes, I DO own it, and it's paid for, and I pay cash to fuel it up. Not bad for a 32 year old contractor who dosen't know anything, ya think? Not bad for a guy with a sense of humor & half his brain tied behind hios back so as not to embarass anyone. So now I will cast off my Spring lines & shove off down to The NYC harbor, about an hour's run from here, to see the Trade center site from the harbor. Have a nice day!

Here's one for you to think about. What's the longest continueous single line on a ship? Why don't you think about that, while your out looking for that 5/8" adjustable wrench.

Golly Gee. I wonder if they will ban me again for having a sense of humor & not taking any of this stuff so seriously as the rest of the cramudgeons.

Its a good thing you are a self confessed ( don't forget conceited) young rich guy, because your personality sure is poor. Speaking of poor, I assume the part of your brain that is tied behind your back is the part that manages your spelling and grammar.

Whats a cramudgeon. Some of us are curmudgeons, but the hilarity AND the irony of the situation is, i'm quite certain, lost on you.

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote