Cabinets Split - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2010, 04:32 AM   #1
WPL

Rewards Points: 10

Cabinets split

Two years ago I had new doors put on my cabinets. The plywood is now split. And the doors are shagging. I have put glue in the splits and clamped them until dry. I have put wood matches in the crew holes. All to no a vale.
What can I do to fix this? The cabinets were built in 1962. I can't afford to replace them.

Advertisement

WPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cabinets split

What kind of glue did you use. TitebondII would be my choice. Inject the glue into the crack and clamp. Once dry, it may split somewhere else, but no the same spot. I suspect what started it was the hole was not predrilled.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Cabinets split

On wood that thin, from the looks of the picture, even if you drilled it, it may have split. Maybe my eyes are deceiving me. What is the width of the door? Your best bet may be to move the hinge down and repair the old crack, then predrill the screw holes and re-attach. It could also be that the screw was driven too far into the plywood and after use it split. Not much to do. Any one else have an idea?
Daddyshammer is offline   Reply With Quote