Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #1

Share |

cabinet hardware

hello. i am trying to replace my cabinet hardware. i am having an extremly hard time finding pulls that fit the original holes. i need pulls that are 2 3/4" center to center. these are not easy to find, especially in a style that i like. someone suggest we just widen the original hole so that 3" pulls would fit and cover the original hole. any suggestions? know of anywhere i can find a black 2 3/4 center pull? how should we drill the new hole to not mess up the cabinets?
satucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:20 AM   #2

cabinet hardware

You have come across a tricky situation, that has been encountered before, but there is usually a good solution. The best bet would be to find pulls that fit the original holes. Might I suggest doing an online search, or browse catalogs at box stores and specialty kitchen cabinet stores? The pulls they have on display represent only a very small percentage of what is out there. If you have to go with a three inch pull, then I would make a jig that fits on the corner of the cabinet door, so that all the new holes are the same. I would use one of the original holes , and use the jig to locate the second hole. Then use a center punch to indent the door where the hole will be drilled. This will keep the bit from wandering. If the new handle will not cover the old hole, fill it with a stainable putty. Do this in two steps, as the first fill will shrink. And use a color matched stain stick to dress up the putty. Then install your new pulls. Hope this helps.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #3

cabinet hardware

You could use a handle with a seperate back plate, this would serve two purposes, 1- it would cover the original holes if the hole centres were different and 2-you could use the holes in the backplate as a drilling template. Take a look here http://thewoodshed.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=5271228
nicewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #4

cabinet hardware

we have unique handles at www.granitehardware.com .

Hilly
hilly105 is offline   Reply With Quote