Cabinet, Fridge, & Pantry Fitment - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

Cabinet, Fridge, & Pantry fitment

I'm finally installing my cabinets and it's going well so far. I am now trying to install the over fridge cabinet and pantry. I'm planning to screw them together first and then attach them to the wall. I'm trying to figure out if I need two spacers or just one.

2 spacers:

Left spacer is not stained (for mock-up), right spacer is stained. Both are 3/4".

1 spacer (right side only):

I'd prefer to use just one spacer and have less gap but it does allow the right fridge door to touch the edge of the cabinet door when fully (99%) open. This annoys the wife.

I can't do without the right side spacer because the doors will hit before they open all the way (contact when about 70% open).

With one spacer and the planned base cabinet layout, I get nearly 1.5" granite overhang from the end of the last cabinet to the end of the 42" half wall. Perfect. If I go with both spacers I have to cut that overhang to about 3/4" OR I'll have to reduce one base cabinet by a size (not a major problem since I haven't paid for that one yet) and add a small spacer elsewhere to account for 2 inches or so to get the standard overhang back.

The other problem introduced by using just one spacer is that the top (36") cabinet isn't really wide enough to span the width of the fridge (35.75") plus the gap created between the wall and the fridge which is about 1/8" at the floor and nearly 1/2" at the top of the fridge. I've tried levelling the fridge more but the more I close that gap, the more unlevel the fridge seems to get. I haven't figured out why yet.

I have a couple closeup pics that I'll add below.

thanks,
Jimmy

Advertisement

Last edited by mystic_cobra; 11-29-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: resize pics, clarify
mystic_cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
DIYer

2 spacers right side:

2 spacers left side:

1 spacer:

Note the small gap left of the cabinet when one spacer is used.

Ignore the light above the cabinet. It is being relocated slightly.

Advertisement

Last edited by mystic_cobra; 11-29-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

The spacer situation on top has nothing to do with the refrigerator doors opening one way or the other.
There should have been more space given the refrigerator or the wall on the left side opened wider to leave space for the doors to open.
You might need to pull the refrigerator out a bit to clear the cabinet face with the doors open.
Or... open the wall to behind the doors of the unit.

Last edited by Ron6519; 11-30-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
Crusty Old Dude

Rewards Points: 75

Better make the wife happy. I don't know about you, but around here, if momma ain't happy, no one is gonna be happy.
Big Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #5

Where you place the filler(s) is a matter of personal preference, I always used one filler against the wall and kept the cabinets tight to one another. Refrigerator doors typically turn in their own radius, however when they do not open greater than 90 degrees the draws often do not pull out as the shelves in the doors interfere with the draws. For that reason you may need the refrigerator door at the opening of the passthrough. Leveling refrigerators can be a bit bothersome if you can not adjust the rear wheels, but do whatever you need to level it, e.g cedar shakes under the rear wheels if not adjustable. I would go for a level and plumb fridge and skip the concern about the space to the wall. If the cabinets are plumb and the referigerator is plumb, then if you make the fridge parallel to the out of plumb wall the space to the cabinets will be off. No one will notice the uneven space to the wall in a few weeks.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #6

Just saw the spacer next to the refrigerator. There's no reason to have one there. Cut it off at the bottom of the upper cabinet if you want to open the doors all the way.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Just saw the spacer next to the refrigerator. There's no reason to have one there. Cut it off at the bottom of the upper cabinet if you want to open the doors all the way.
I see what you guys are saying and appreciate the advice. The doors open out and don't hit one another with it situated as is. I shimmed the pantry and fridge so they are level/plumb and it fits better.

As for the suggestion to cut the spacer off at the upper cabinet...I can do that but like the look of having that spacer run all the way down because it fills that gap.

What is a typical gap on the sides of the fridge? With that one spacer I have about a quarter inch on each side of the fridge. If I cut off that spacer my gap will grow to about 5/8 - 3/4" on each side.

I think the old gap was about 2.5" so anything is probably better than what I had in the crappy old kitchen.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_cobra View Post
What is a typical gap on the sides of the fridge? With that one spacer I have about a quarter inch on each side of the fridge. If I cut off that spacer my gap will grow to about 5/8 - 3/4" on each side.

I think the old gap was about 2.5" so anything is probably better than what I had in the crappy old kitchen.
Refrigerators have recommended spacing on the sides and back for ventilation. My Kenmore Elite recommends 2" per side and 2" on the back.
You should check your refrigerator's specifications.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stud View Post
Better make the wife happy. I don't know about you, but around here, if momma ain't happy, no one is gonna be happy.
You mean the wife will ***** (even notice?) if the fridge is out an inch or two?
put a 1x2 on the floor so it feels like the fridge is back against the wall

Advertisement

bareshiyth is offline   Reply With Quote