Cabinet Door Material - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Cabinet door material

Howdy everybody, could someone please tell me what the best material is for making warp free cabinet doors.

Advertisement

bronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Cabinet door material

I would have to assume it has more to do with how well they are built instead of the exact wood. Only reason I say this is because cabinets can be purchased in numerous hardwoods and plywoods.

Advertisement

beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #3

Cabinet door material

If you want to use plywood ask for cabnet grade plywood. Comes in many different veniers. Comes in 4x5 or 4x8 sheets. If you have a plainer then join a bunch of 1x4 or smothing smaller to make your doors. Good luck.
texas115115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cabinet door material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco2 View Post
Howdy everybody, could someone please tell me what the best material is for making warp free cabinet doors.
The door frames are made from solid wood and the panels can be either plywood or solid wood. You need to make sure the wood has the correct moisture content before you start the project or the doors will warp and the panels will shrink.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Cabinet door material

Mdf...
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #6

Cabinet door material

Thanks for the reply's guys. I have heard that mdf isn't that great because it doesn't hold a screw very good.
bronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cabinet door material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco2 View Post
Thanks for the reply's guys. I have heard that mdf isn't that great because it doesn't hold a screw very good.
Mdf is only for the panels in the middle of the rails and stiles. You wouldn't use it for anything else. It can be veneered if you wanted to stain the cabinets.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
Builder and Remodeler

Rewards Points: 25

Cabinet door material

If it will be stained, use solid wood. Just look at the end grain of the wood. If it has a rainbow pattern, it will probably warp if the moisture content is too high.

If painted, use mdf as center panel and solid wood for stiles and rails. ( MDF will hold a self tapping metal screw or you could use MDF screws)

Old 05-15-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
Umm.. U sure thats right?

Rewards Points: 25

Cabinet door material

I actuall just made a dresser all out of 3/4 and 1/2 in MDF... if you are going to paint it, then that is the economical way to go... it cuts good on a router and also will hold a drywall screw ok... i would suggest the self tappers though... i biscut jointed everything and used drywall screws... holds great...However it all would depend on what you are looking to do... raised pandel, shaker, or solid doors???? are you staining or painting? if painting you can use MDF for everything... just rip 1x3's to use for rails and stiles. if you are staining... you will have to bite the bullet and go for poplor, maple, oak, etc.... you can use 1x2 for face frame (if your using) 1x3 for stiles and rails, and if you are doing raised panel... vary the marterials combime 1x3,4,6 etc... biscuit joint them and clamp, then you can run thru router.... hopefully i am accurate and this helps... these are the steps that i have used that have seemed successful... hope it helps...

Advertisement

f8lyer8s is offline   Reply With Quote