Burying A Section Of Framed House - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Burying a section of framed house

Hello,

So we're building a raised patio/back porch on my friends house. The patio shall be level with the back door. Support walls have already been built....

This patio shall sit 2' higher than current grade. bottum foot of the house is concrete foundation, the next foot up is vinyl siding, beneath that tyvek, beneath that OSB, beneath that is 2x4's.

So we had 1' of problem area.

1. Cut out a one foot section of pvc, used it to cover the problem zone. Adhered with galvanized roofing nails and caulk.

2. took a 24" rool of aluminum flashing and tucked it up under the siding, meeting where the osb and pvc meet up and extending all the way down overlapping the foundation. Tacked it up with the roofing nails.

3. Caulked all joints and tarred the lower portion of flashing.

To my eye, everything is water tight. Perforated pipe is already laid out along the house and the retaining wall/patio support wall, pipe ran out to other side of wall. next move is to backfill everything and lay flagstone. Should have no big worries.....right?

I've done a lot of retaining walls and patios--just never buried any section of a stud frame house before, so I'm concerned.

thanks!

Advertisement

Joe Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 572

#1, Patio should never be even with the doors threshold if there's no roof over it.
100% use way to have future moisture issues.
Depending on your local codes it may need to be up to 6" below it. (snow area)
A double layer of Ice and water shield on the wall to at least 6" below the sill plate would be what I would use.
I use a strip of 1 X 6 PVC lumber attached with trim head screws, Z moulding, J moulding then the siding at the bottom of the wall.

Advertisement

hand drive (06-26-2014), PaliBob (06-23-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #3

Thank you. My friend is not going to want to undo work in order to drop the patio 6" lower!
Old 06-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 522

How will the water travel? If water has a chance of finding a crack and sit around, burying the wall is not a good idea. Caulk may fail and water can move up, down and sideways. If you can be sure that water is redirected and will drain well next 50 years, then why not. Some basement walls are built with pt ply and studs, although it is not my own experience.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
Joe Jefferies (06-22-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

Last summer I rebuilt a house that tried the same trick---water and insects got in----several thousands in damage---I don't like the idea--
gregzoll (06-21-2014), Joe Jefferies (06-22-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 572

Used to be one of my main sources of income going back and fixing builders mistakes like that.
I've had to repair dozen of them built to close to the thresholds.
Live in an area where there's snow then it needs to be lower. (6")
gregzoll (06-21-2014)
Old 06-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

what is the floor of the patio/back porch constructed of? is there a roof over the patio/back porch?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #8

Thank you, everyone for the responses.

Floor shall be dry laid flagstone. Pattern-flag, tight joints 1/8'-1/4", filled with stone dust. Patio will have a pitch of 2.5" fall over 10' span.

No roof over the patio.

I'm considering lowering the patio 6" Costly, at this point, but I'm thinking it may need to be done. And yes, there is snow up here.

If we do that...... then there is still 6" of stud frame, covered in plastic/flashing and tar--buried. There is also perforated pipe, wrapped in filter fabric, situated right at top of foundation.

Last edited by Joe Jefferies; 06-22-2014 at 09:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Jefferies For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-22-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 04:58 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 178

I've seen 3 examples of this--all were at various stages of being torn apart, rotted joists, studs, flooring, drywall etc being replaced. On one of them, we only figured out why a flat roof held a pool of water, when a excavator with a breaker attachment showed up to remove the concrete patio, and revealed that the whole outside wall had lost all support due to rot. The stucco siding was holding it in place otherwise it would have subsided a lot more than it had.
2 of the 3 were less than 20 years old.

So I would not do it, ever. You could build a retaining wall a foot or so out from the house to support the paving, and cover the gap with wood decking, we did exactly that at my parents house when they wanted paving near to the interior floor level, in that case it did have a roof over as well.
mgp roofing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mgp roofing For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-25-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,256

I would never backfill dirt against wood framing no matter what concoction of water proofing I dreamed up. If you must, then follow the procedures for wood foundations. I believe all the wood in wooden foundations are treated for subsoil use. Is any of this framing treated?

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote