Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
bbo

Share |

bunk bed mattress support ?

Whats the recommended Bunk Bed mattress support?

I'm thinking MDF.

one of the "add-ons" the furniture tries to get you on is using their "bunkie pad" at 58$ a pop. I'm thinking I can rip some MDF down much cheaper than that.

3/4 MDF is only 33 Per sheet locally. They were making it sound like I was going to spend 150 per bed to make this. I looked at what they had and it certainly looked like MDF (1/2?)

this good enough or is some other plywood a better choice?

no pics, sorry Joe.

but they are twin sized mattresses and there will also be slats under the mdf as well, I'm guessing 4 of the 1x3 slats or something like that.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Some complain about the smell of MDF so you might want to seal/prime and paint it. Plywood might be a better choice? Could use slats but these days they will probably cost you what a sheet of ply would.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
bbo (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
bbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Some complain about the smell of MDF so you might want to seal/prime and paint it. Plywood might be a better choice? Could use slats but these days they will probably cost you what a sheet of ply would.
I think the slats come with the bed.

right about the smell, although I am not one to complain, my daughters have taken on their mothers nose, better to be safe then sorry.

any recommendations for plywood type? anything stronger than other types for weight/thickness?

funny stuff, I think this is what they had

Menards particle board
Old 04-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
STAFF

For our grandson's bunkbeds I used slats 14-16 inch apart with 3/8 inch sanded plywood, they are big boys now (6 foot), and it is still holding up.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
bbo (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Years ago when my boys were younger they had bunk beds. One problem that arose was that with the boys twisting and turning the bed frame would widen just enough for the slats to fall out causing the top boy to fall on the bottom boy in the middle of the night. Then I had to go and stop a full-blown massacre. The bed rails at that time were wooden so I just put small eye bolts in two places along the bed rail, about 1/3 of the way along the length and used small stranded steel wire to tie off the bed rails so they would not spread out anymore. Later when they got twin beds with steel rails this would happen again--I honestly do not know what they were doing in the middle of the night to cause this. This time I drilled holes in the bed rails for the wire to solve the "spreading" problem.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
bbo

the slats are to be screwed in now.
fwiw I got 2 23/32 sanded plywood panels cut to size by the orange apron guy. 56$ out the door.

vs 108+tax would i have gotten them from the furn place. for a lesser product (imo of course)
The Following User Says Thank You to bbo For This Useful Post:
BigJim (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
bbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I honestly do not know what they were doing in the middle of the night to cause this.
you probably do not want to know.