Built-in Wardrobe Closet Materials? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2015, 11:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

Built-in Wardrobe Closet Materials?

We have a space in our bedroom that I found some doors for at Home Depot which will be a perfect fit.

There are some IKEA wardrobes that would fit okay in there but hanging our own doors, building out shelfs and installing a drawer unit in there will allow us to maximize this space.
Built-in Wardrobe Closet Materials?-0830150944a.jpg
The green line is where the adjacent wall lines up the the windowed wall. Would I set the doors back 2" from the wall into the opening so the doors don't look so crowded next to the window?

What would I use to cover the walls in the wardrobe area? I was thinking something like MDF or a veneer covered plywood? Curious what materials and finishes the custom wardrobe/california closet builders use for their shelves and enclosures to finish inside an area like this.

Appreciate any input.

Advertisement

Last edited by bitplumber; 08-30-2015 at 12:01 PM.
bitplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 880

i dont know about california builders specifically but for fixed shelving mdf is the most economical.. some might use melamine but it typically isnt as strong as mdf or cabinet grade plywoods such as baltic birch

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 7,824

I know exactly what you are trying to do.

Go to HD and have a look at their collection of wire shelves and storage systems.

I personally wouldn't bother with melamine...the pre-made stuff you get does not hold up.

With the wire rack system, you can put a couple of support brackets down the back wall and hang just about anything you want in any combination.

And....the wire racks don't collect dust and small crap. By nature of design, small stuff falls through.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 258

I agree do the wire shelving. It's a little more money, but gives you more flexibility. If you go with the adjustable style you can change it to suit your needs or change it later if your needs change. It's nice stuff. Here is a picture of how I did it in my kids room, this is before I installed the doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Built-in Wardrobe Closet Materials?-closet.jpg  
KC_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KC_Jones For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (08-31-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 647

I don't know your budget, and once you enter the closet world it gets expensive. But we installed the Elfa stuff from Container Store. It is a modular system that hangs from top rails on the back wall. Expensive, but you can add drawers, shelves, bars, etc. Looks a lot better than that wire crap from the big box stores.

Home Depot has the Rubbermaid systems for less $$$ but far less quality.

Probably an aside, but thought it was somewhat relevant.
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 249

Depending on your comfort/skill level with woodworking...

I would go with prefinished plywood. For price comparison, I can get domestic A3 prefinished-one-side, 3/4" 4x8 sheet for $65. You'd probably need to call around local lumber/building supply houses to find it.

I'd probably skin the inside of the space with that, or perhaps do solid-wood standards on the wall. You'd lose 1.5" in the opening, but it'd give the inside a finished look, and give you a solid surface to screw hardware, drawer slides, etc into, as well as drill into for adjustable shelf pegs. You could do center divider as well. I'd probably make the shelves out of solid stock, with a slat-style shelf, you could also make those out of edged plywood. Perhaps do a couple drawers/pullouts in the bottom half. Then hide it all behind a set of doors, or, just leave it open.

That's all personal preference. I prefer the look/feel of natural wood. MDF/Melamine may be cheaper and equally as suitable for this application, it just doesn't appeal to me. Others like painted wood, wire organizers. It's all about what aesthetic you like, there are a lot of options.
Durt Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 7,824

I made my own system.

For me, the deciding factor is how visible it's going to be. If it's going to be behind doors, then wire rack systems.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 44

Ended up using 3/4" MDF board. Drawers from IKEA. Closet rod from Home Depot. Doors from Home Depot. Primed with Kilz and painted with latex paint. Caulked all seams and used joint compound on the screw holes.

Built-in Wardrobe Closet Materials?-dsc_1998.jpg

Built-in Wardrobe Closet Materials?-dsc_2005.jpg

Turned out pretty nice, I think, for my first project like this. Just need to clean up the trim by the rail at the bottom then I'll be done.

Thanks for the replies.
bitplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:50 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 195

That looks fantastic. If the room didn't have a closet before you've elevated it to "bedroom" from "bonus space" in terms of assessed value.

Advertisement

Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote