Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Built -in Dresser

I have a cape style house, and want to add built in dressers into the knee walls in the finished attic, which is the master bedroom. I want these built in because I want to reduce the amount of furniture upstairs. It does not matter what the dressers look like, except for the drawer fronts.
I'm looking for advice in planning this, as well as alternative ideas. Do I even have to build complete dressers if the only thing that will be exposed is the drawer itself? If not, how would I go about building them?

Mabrins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 136

Built -in Dresser

You would build the front of it as you would any other dresser...face frame...but with no back or top.

I'm assuming you can use the sides to support the slides.

One consideration is if the knee wall is providing any support...if so, you will need to install a header above with jack studs on the side.

Additionally...what is on the back side of that knee wall? If open insulation...I personally would build a box so as to prevent hot/cold air from leaking into the room through the built in.

It would help if you could post pics of the front and back side of the wall.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote