Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Built-in Corner Shelf Unit

Hello

I am trying to figure out how to build this built-in shelf unit. Attached is an image of the shelf unit. I am also including a sketch I have put together on how I am thinking of approaching it. I have never done this before but am very curious how one would build it. In my mind, I see 2 separate pieces. There is the bottom half and then the top half. Based on the drawing I provided, am I approaching it in the correct manner? Is the main shelf unit made of 2x4s? I am then guessing that the wood for the shelves is ¾ plywood. For the front surfaces, I see some wainscoting but what is the other type of wood on the front of the unit? Once complete, I am guessing you just spray it with a white paint. Any feedback you have is appreciated and I looked online for designs but was unable to find any helpful ones… if someone had a link on how to build a similar unit, that would be amazingly helpful.

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge.
Attached Thumbnails
Built-in Corner Shelf Unit-corner-shelf-doors.jpg   Built-in Corner Shelf Unit-shelf-sketch.jpg  

VikingDinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 66

There is no 2 X 4's needed for a cabinet like that.
That bead board is simply bead board paneling cut to size.
I like to preprime and paint all my panels with a foam roller first.
What tools do you have?
Your going to need a table saw, router, Kreg tool, and it would be best to have a finish nail gun.
Might want to stop by Lowes and pick up a book or two on cabinet building.
Way to many details to explain it all on here.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #3

I have a sliding compound miter saw, a skill saw, a roto zip, 18V drill, etc. I have built many items such as my shed and and countless shelves (basement, garage, etc). For the most part though, my work has never been formally finished (just rough items except the shed). If I can see a picture on how to construct it, I normally have success building it. I will spend some time on Google looking at items such as bead board and cabinet building.
VikingDinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #4

I'm only a newbie carpenter, but I would make sure to use a solid wood apron on the fronts of shelves that long for stability.

The top shelf in the picture you posted look like it is sagging in the middle.
noone is offline   Reply With Quote