Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building a TV stand - what's the best material?

I'm planning to build a TV stand that looks as if it's built into the wall. It will be positioned between two closets that are about six feet apart.

I've got my design drawn up but I'm wondering which material would be the best to use? I want to eventually paint it the same color as the surrounding walls.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

NewOwner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 718

Several options.I would go with A1 grade birch plywood with a solid poplar face.You could also go with MDF.A lot less cost and takes paint well but very heavy and lots of dust.How wide is the cabient going to be?Could you post these plans? At 6' wide you will at least need some center support in the bottom.

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,296

Mako brings up some good points.

Are the book cases fixed? Do you want the shelf to be suspended between the shelves?

If so....if it was me, I'd run 2 2x4's between the shelves...one of them anchored to the wall. Is then use the above birch to cover those 2x4's. If you get fancy, you can use crown molding to make it look like a mantel.

Additionally, the space between the 2x4's could be used to run power and signal cables.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
NewOwner32 (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Here's the plan I'm considering:
Attached Thumbnails
Building a TV stand - what's the best material?-tv-stand.jpg  
NewOwner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 718

I would use the 3/4" material of your choice.Constructed with dados and a rabbet for the back.Dado all of the vertical pieces into the top and bottom.Leaving the 2 vertical center pieces a 1/4 shy of the back to allow for a solid back panel.Cut a 1/4" rabbet around the back inside of the case to allow a 1/4 for a back panel.This will add structural integrity and square the case.The shelves should also be dadoed into the vertical pieces.You could actually get away with making the shelves adjustable.You won't need the extra support of dadoed shelves.
You can finish the front with a heat sensitive edgebanding or solid wood.If it were me I would build a face frame to attach to the front leaving it a bit proud on the two outside edges and scribe it to fit the walls on either side.I would leave the bottom pieces a few inches shy from the front and add a toe kick or leave them proud at the sides to scribe to the walls just like the face.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 326

Since you're painting it, luan. Pick through the lot for flatest. Use the middle boards to straighten the top and bottom. If you don't mind mellamine, you don't have to paint the interior. I'd paint the sheets first. It's deep enough where painting it afterward would be a pain. At least prime and sand before assembly.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,024

I would build it using biscuit joinery and probably MDF. Mount a 1 x 2 pine ledger to the wall to support the back of the shelves, and a pine front rail biscuit joined to the MDF to give it some resistance to sag. 23/32 Birch Plywood is nice, but it is dear for something you wont be sitting on, and it would be a shame to paint it.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 510

One more thing to consider is ---> laminate rather than painting it. You might have to order it in, but there is a huge assortment of colors and styles of laminate. Contact cement onto MDF.

MDF is extremely flat and smooth. Just that you need a plan on how to join it. Screws into the end don't work so well.

Last edited by SPS-1; 07-25-2014 at 08:37 PM.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:36 PM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,296

I really have to stop looking at these threads on my phone....

Getting back on topic.....

Plywood....3/4". Much more stable than anything else.

Since you plan to paint it...use paint grade. The only thing different between it and say Birch...is the top layer.

For the design you have..... go biscuit....but you only really need to do it on the top and bottom shelves...I'm assuming the middle ones will be adjustable. Actually....since your going to paint it....you could actually use nails.

One very strong suggestion....on the base, put in a toe kick.....translation...a board across the bottom to keep crap out from underneath. Otherwise, you will forever be cleaning out under it. You want that board to span the full width.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote