Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Building stairs layout

I am going to build a pair of steps to the second floor. The height from the landing to the upper floor is 111 1/2 inches. Can someone help me out on the size my risers and threads should be? Also how do I do the cutting layout on the 2 X 12's? I know one has to use a framing square, what little trick is out there to make the laying of the steps to the 2 X 12's? Thanks to all, Love this Forum!!!!!!!

helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
renovations

Building stairs layout

You can have 15 risers at 7-7/16", or 16 at 7". Say you choose 15. if you go with a run (tread) of 10" plus a nose of 1". set your framing square on the 2x so that the points 14-7/8" (2x 7-7/16") and 20" (2x10")are on the edge of your board. ( I do this at 2x so that it decreases error, you could do it with just 7-7/16 & 10)This gives you your rise and your tread (minus the inch for the nose). You have to take into account that the stringer cut outs are not where the tread is (by the thickness of the tread), so the bottom step is the thickness of the tread lower than the others.

Hard to explain this stuff textually. It will also change things if your last (upper) tread is level with the floor or one riser below it.

It is a really good idea to draw this out to scale so that you can make sure before you cut, it's a drag to go back to the store for more 2x12 and eventually the clerks catch on

Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:48 AM   #3
Al

Building stairs layout

RR314.2 Treads and risers.
The maximum riser height shall be 8-1/4 inches (209 mm) and the minimum tread depth shall be 9 inches (229 mm). The riser height shall be measured vertically between leading edges of the adjacent treads. The tread depth shall be measured horizontally between the vertical planes of the foremost projection of adjacent treads and at a right angle to the tread's leading edge. The walking surface of treads and landings of a stairway shall be sloped no steeper than one unit vertical in 48 units horizontal (2-percent slope). The greatest riser height within any flight of stairs shall not exceed the smallest by more than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm). The greatest tread depth within any flight of stairs shall not exceed the smallest by more than 3/8 inch (9.5 mm).

good luck
the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
Master Craftsman

Building stairs layout

Helpless, here is a site that I found that had a good tutorial on how to do it. http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/f...rs/outdoor.htm

According to my calculator the rise will be 7 7/16" with a run of 10" for each tread. You will have 15 risers and 14 treads. You will need to buy 16' 2x12's for the stringers. The total run will be 140" which is the distance from the wall where the stairs will be attached to the end of the stairs when they hit the floor.

Hope this helps, Dave.

edit: I will cut the stringer treads at 10 inches then when you use a 2x12 for the tread it will automatically give you a nosing that hangs over. Always put your riser behind your tread at the back of the tread.

Last edited by Big Dave; 08-04-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #5

Building stairs layout

Thanks Dave, what size of a framing square do I need, and do they sell those little nuts that you can place on your markings, or do you have one of your tricks laying around?
helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:26 AM   #6
Master Craftsman

Building stairs layout

A standard framing square will do. Lowe's or Home Depot will have them and also those little nuts. I love those things. It takes the guesswork out of it.

Dave.

P.S. Cut the first one and check it for fit then use it to mark and cut the others.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #7
General Contractor

Building stairs layout

Those nuts are called stair nuts....just like the guys who scratch their head and use a capenters pencil to do the math on the stringers...ever seen this in a demo?

A little piece of advice: When you cut the stringers, do you level best to cut them straight and true....getting off a little will be noticeable more then you can imagine. I use a skill sawto cut both lines, and a fig saw to clean it to the corner. I have seen hack carpenters cut it with a skill saw beyond the apex, and this will weaken the stringers.
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:45 AM   #8
Master Craftsman

Building stairs layout

Hey Joasis, here is what I use to cut my stringers. I can cut all three or fout at once and it goes right to the corner.

Dave.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:55 AM   #9
General Contractor

Building stairs layout

Jealousy rules Big Dave....better not invite me up...if you do, make sure I leave empty handed.....

I have a Prazi to fit a Skil 77...and it is still in the box. I bought it to do rafters, and have never used it since we do trusses in our new home construction. Maybe I will get it out someday and try it.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #10
Master Craftsman

Building stairs layout

That was a picture I pulled off the web. Mine fits my skil 77. I can't beleive you've got one and haven't used it yet.

Dave.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:26 PM   #11
General Contractor

Building stairs layout

I bought mine off E-bayon a whim. I have a 10 inch Bigfoot saw/skil 77, that does a lot of duty for us and I haven't built a rustic beamed porch in a long time, which would be another use for it. I think I only paid $110 for it...pretty good deal, huh?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:41 PM   #12
Master Craftsman

Building stairs layout

Yeah, not bad. I bought mine new and paid about $140.00. Here is my favorite saw. I love this thing for doing beam work.

It's hard to tell but that is a 16" makita skil saw.

Dave.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:21 AM   #13

Building stairs layout

Try this interactive online stair calculator / designer

http://www.blocklayer.com/stairs/stairseng.aspx

Don't forget to check the 'Headroom' box to show upper floor opening if you need it.

Blocklayer is offline   Reply With Quote