Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #1

Share |

Building a simple long desk/bench

Hiya

Im looking to put together a very simple long desk. Specs are 5' in length and 24" 24". The rough diagram should give you a better picture:

Front and Back (ignore the period)
-------------
.l.......l.......l
-------------

Side
-------
.llllllllllll
-------

It going to be used for indoor only. I live in Socal so I dont think moisture is that much of a problem.

I Dont have any power tools at disposal so nails and screws are out of the question. My only option is glue, lots of them I assumed. Im going to have the wood cut by Lowes, no saw. Also Im going to stain them for aesthetic sake. Im thinking a medium to dark shade. I have little to zero experience w/ this so I'll like opinions, hints, tips, suggestions wat/ever to go about it the right way.

For wood Im thinking pine panel from Lowes, unless suggested otherwise.

For glue, what you guys suggest or just get wat/ever fit my need?? Atm Im thinking Gorilla Wood Glue

If I go w/ pine then I should do a pre-condition first before staining right?

Also, the surface of the pine panel Im looking at arent exactly silky smooth so that means sandpaper before the condition??

This is probably a no brainer but you put everything together first before staining it right??

Please let me know

Ahura-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Take some of the free (or very inexpensive) classes offered by the Big Box stores or local community colleges. There is too much of the "basics" that you will need to learn to be covered here.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #3

I second that, and I would suggest just goin to ikea to buy a desk. no tools required except maybe a screwdriver.
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #4

Another very simple 'desk' to put together is using a piece of wood the size you mentioned (for the desk top) and any two large objects to put underneath the desk top, separated enough for you to fit a chair between them.

For the desk top, you may be able to find a short piece of counter top at Lowe's fairly cheap. I've seen people use a flat door for this also.

To support the desk top, I've seen desks using two filing cabinets of equal height, two iris carts, saw horses or anything you can find two of that will be the proper height to put under there, as long as they are sturdy enough.

Willie T is right about building a desk without knowing some of the basics. In the long run, you'll likely spend more money than you need to and end up with an unsafe desk that you won't use. Glue alone will not hold the pieces of wood together.

Parsec's idea of getting one at Ikea is probably the best thing to do.

You can also look at second-hand stores, yard sales, Craigslist. I see them ALL THE TIME on Craigslist.com for free. But be careful if you're going to someone's home to get it, take someone with you just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!

Last edited by gma2rjc; 05-30-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahura-sama View Post
so nails and screws are out of the question. My only option is glue, lots of them I assumed.
Im going to have the wood cut by Lowes, no saw.
Im thinking Gorilla Wood Glue
1 you'll need clamps
2 then your dimensions and his cuts have to be right the first time
3 don't get this on your hands

There are literally a half dozen ways this can go wrong and only one way it can go right.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote