Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:44 AM   #1

Share |

Building a queen size bed frame

I have a queen sized mattress and box spring that I want to use in an upstairs spare bedroom. Unfortunately with a narrow staircase I am unable to get the box spring upstairs. I did manage to get the main mattress upstairs because of it's flexibility. Windows are too small to haul the mattress through the upstairs windows. So what I'd like to do is build a queen sized bed frame that I can assemble upstairs and use slats to support the mattress.

I've searched online for some frame plans but haven't found anything I like. Any of you guys have schematics for a queen sized bed frame that's relatively easy to make. I don't need anything fancy or ornate.
speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #2

All you need is the hardware to hang the side rails. You can do a web search for that. The side slats get a cleat attached to the bottom for the plywood to sit on. Put a few mid supports to the floor midway, side to side.
The frame should be about 1" wider and longer then the mattress.
Plans should be available online for a bed frame.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster1 View Post
use slats to support the mattress.
With no center support rail or post, use hardwood slats, 1x3 or 1x4, as many as you need to get the stiffness you need.
Copy IKEA's designs.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-06-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:05 AM   #4
Sofa Bed Mattaresses

I think going for the customized frame was really good, and you'd have created a frame for the mattress. I just want to know how I can create a frame which can be used for keeping the items as well, underneath the mattress. I want to have a cabin type bed for my bedroom, but not getting the kind of bed I want. So, I'm thinking of getting one sofa bed mattress, and then go for a customized frame.
sofabed is offline   Reply With Quote