Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Building a pump house

Anyone have any experience in this? Just need a basic shed to cover my pump. I was thinking the design would be 6x6 with a lean to roof and the rood would hinge. 1/4 inch treated plywood and treated 2x6 for the posts. I would also paint it all. I live in Louisiana so it does not need to be insulated. Anyone have any tips?

damian51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Building a pump house

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian51 View Post
Just need a basic shed to cover my pump.
Anyone have any tips?
Think about what ELSE you might want to have a roof over or kept behind a lockable door. Make the shed big enough to do those things as well.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #3

Building a pump house

I already have an actual shed. This would be strictly for the well pump.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 108

Building a pump house

If you just sit it directly on the ground the siding and the bottom plates will rot out over time

If the siding is within 6" of the ground it's going to rot out from splash back where it rains.

Since your in hurracane area I'd be afaid it would blow away unless you pour footing and have it sit on the blocks with foundation bolts to hold it in place.

I've never even seen 1/4 pressure treated plywood or even anything you could use to side a pump house outside that's 1/4" thick. The walls should be at least 1/2" thick not 1/4".

The studs should be 2 X 4's not 2 X 6's. 2 X 6's would be over kill.

2 X 4's are sold in 8' lenghts so why not make the shed 8' so your not throwing away 2' of lumber with every cut.

If you key word search pump house plans dozens come up on Yahoo or Google. He's one.
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~mwps_...ml#Anchor74001

Last edited by joecaption; 04-11-2012 at 06:26 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #5

Building a pump house

How tall?
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #6

Building a pump house

Never thought about the splash back. I was just planning on driving the posts in the ground and screwing some plywood to it lol. That one you linked is a actually where I got the idea for the hinged roof.

One side of it will be 4, slanting down to 3 foot on the other side.

I am trying to keep this project on the cheaper side and would rather not do footing. I am not concerned with the hurricanes if it's screwed to some 2x4s
That are secured in the ground.

I will also paint the building.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #7

Building a pump house

More a box than a house. Eh?
How about driving 4 steel fence posts in the corners, sheath it in ply, and side with hardy plank cement board siding?
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #8

Building a pump house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evstarr View Post
More a box than a house. Eh?
How about driving 4 steel fence posts in the corners, sheath it in ply, and side with hardy plank cement board siding?

Yeh I guess house was the wrong phrase lol

Fence post as in what is used in chain link fencing?

I am not all too construction sauvy, what does it mean to sheath it in?

Would the hardy board rot?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #9

Building a pump house

Very poor design ideas.

It's going to be to close to the ground, and only 4 X 4's, 4 X 6's, and 6 X 6's are below ground rated.

By making it that small how is anyone going to be able to even work on the pump if needed.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #10

Building a pump house

Also I am not even sure I'd I need a pump house. More for
Keeping objects from hitting the setup or keeping the rain off it.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #11

Building a pump house

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Very poor design ideas.

It's going to be to close to the ground, and only 4 X 4's, 4 X 6's, and 6 X 6's are below ground rated.

By making it that small how is anyone going to be able to even work on the pump if needed.
Unscrew the plywood and work on the equipment
Old 04-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #12

Building a pump house

If your lucky the termites will send you a thank you card for making there job so easy.

I drive by at least 5 DIY built pump houses everyday, everyone of them has the roof falling in and sidings all rotted away, everyone of them was built just sitting on the ground. Just trying to save you all the trouble of having it fail.

It's always cheaper to build something right the first time and not have to go back and do it again.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #13

Building a pump house

Let me ask you this, for a 6'x6 that is 4 foot slanting to 3 foot, how much would it cost to do it right with footings and such. Also the cement wouldn't mess with the well any would it?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 6

Building a pump house

I built one for my mom and dad' get away home, I believe in 1975, because it was about the time of his first heart attack, which outlasted them, and looks like it will easily outlast me. I think the inside dimensions are about 4' by 4' by 3-1/2' high, but you can figure out what you need for space. I dug 4' deep footings, used 2x6's rather that 2x4's, insulated well, and included a small heater, as it is in Northern Michigan, and if I were doing another one today, it would be almost identical. For yours, I would start with whatever size concrete slab that you need, formed so that the floor is a full 8", plus whatever amount of overhang you plan for siding, above grade, incorporate at least 2' footings to keep the critters out (they only need to be as thick as a pair of post hole diggers, as critter control is their primary function), a vapor barrier, anchors for the walls, and chases in the floor and footings for water and electrical lines (we'll skip the fact that I used coffee cans for this one back then). After that, it goes up similar to a miniature garage or luxury dog house; sill seal, treated bottom plate, 2x4 construction, with double top plate, pitched roof, and one wall with a large opening (I actually have one side that is completely removable). The only trick is, and it's not bad once you start laying it out, having the proper overlaps to seal the gaps when you set the side panel in place. The one I built has a couple extra pieces of flashing that you wouldn't use if the walls were connected all the way around, so that once the side is set in place, and a couple of bolts with winged heads are in place, mine anyway, has never shown any sign of weather intrusion, and while we probably don't have as many as you do, I have had very few bugs find their way in. Overkill, maybe, but less costly in the long run than tossing it together with 1 bys or 2x2's, and watchinbg it start to warp in a short period of time. The only thing that might be easier, except that it would probably take two guys to get into it, would be to construct it with the sides all connects, and the roog removable, similar to a do house, or at least dog houses that I have built. Lastly, I would be generous with caulk, to ensure that all of the gaps are sealed, inside and out, to keep bugs out, and although I don't know about insulation techniques in LA, assume that you would want something that would help stabilize temperature swings inside when it gets really hot. For the electrical, install a duplex receptacle, with a switch on one of them, so that you have a service disconnect and auxiliary receptavcle close at hand.

Last edited by DexterII; 04-11-2012 at 09:27 PM.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #15

Building a pump house

Where you live you would not need anything as fancy as that.

Ifhttp://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/howmuch/calculator.htm you did go with a slab floor it only needs to be 4" thick not 8.

With a slab the pumps not just sitting on the ground.

A simple slab with a row of blocks on top of that for the wall so sit on would get you 8" up off the ground.

If you made it 4' X4' it would take 2, pieces of T-111, 2, 2 X 6 X 8' pressure treated for the bottom plates, 8, foundation bolts, about 12, 2 X 4 X 8's 1, 2 X 6 X 16' for the rafters, one piece of metal roofing 12' long (you want it longer so there's some over hang on the front and back when it's cut.

Last edited by joecaption; 04-11-2012 at 10:04 PM.