Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Building a platform for washer/dryer

I'm in the middle of a half-bath/utility room remodel and wanted to run an idea I had past all you experts. I currently have the washer/dryer planned in a 3-walled 'cubby' so to speak, the size and shape of a washer and dryer side-by-side. My washer and dryer and front-loaders, and rather than paying $400 for the matching pedestals, I want to build wooden platforms to get a bit of height. I plan on laying ceramic tile in the room, and use some leftover laminate flooring on the top of the platform. I also am thinking about painting the 'riser' of the platform white, and using a stairnose transition piece that goes with the laminate.

My main question is how should I build this platform to ensure that it's sturdy enough to handle both the weight and the vibrations? I'm fairly handy....just not the most experienced with planning this kind of thing. Also, my power saws are limited to a reciprocating saw, a circular saw, a jigsaw, and a small table saw, if that matters at all.

syogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #2

I would think that 2x4's on edge framed on 12" centers with a sheet of 3/4" plywood for a top would be strong enough Screwed to the framing on 3 sides with vertical supports to the floor in the front. I've taken 30"x12" above the refridgerator cabinets set them on a toekick and 3/4" ply for a top and did the same thing as your trying to do. The customer wanted the washer and dryer base to match the other cabinets in the room.

RTRCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #3

I would also expect a 2x4 support frame with 3/4 ply top to be sufficent. The load (feet) from washers is typically around the perimeter, so you don't need a lot of load-bearing capability in the center of the box top. I would expect a 2x4 layed on edge would be enough support for the front edge of the top, if you wanted to maximize the open space below for storage.

In case it is not obvious, I would include support structure along the sides, back, and between the washwer and dryer. Sheath the side and back support structure to resist racking. Leaving the front open for storage (or drawers) if desired, otherwise cover it as well.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:11 AM   #4

i would do a 2x4 frame, and stiffen it up with some vertical plywood all around, especially if your washer is one of the new ones with the high speed spin cycles.

of course, i have a tendency to overbuild stuff...
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 22

Make sure you have a way to keep the machines from vibrating off the pedestal. I built one for a friend and added a second layer of 3/4 plywood under the feet of the machines. I drilled 1" holes under the feet and let the machines feet sit in those holes.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
olzo55 (01-15-2014)
Old 12-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #6

Decide how high you want the machines and use the framing lumber that matches. Top with the aforementioned ply and you're good to go. All you need is the circular saw, screws and a drill.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
olzo55 (01-15-2014)
Old 12-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Chaos Engineer

I used 2x4s and 3/4 in OSB to build my risers. They are in my utility room though so nothing need to be pretty. But as was said before put an edge on them or cups for the feet or else your washer will walk off the top.

N8
Big N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #8

Glad to come across this thread as I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Doesn't seem like it should be too difficult.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #9

We have completed our platform or riser for our washer/dryer and are waiting for warmer weather to paint it. What paint is best for this application? Should we use a sealer first (or primer) how many coats of each?
rere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere
We have completed our platform or riser for our washer/dryer and are waiting for warmer weather to paint it. What paint is best for this application? Should we use a sealer first (or primer) how many coats of each?
A couple coats of primer is mandatory whenever you are painting wood. I use two coats of primer followed by two coats of paint for outdoor trim, but I imagine you could get by with one coat of paint. If you plan on painting it a specific color (other than white) you can get the primer tinted to match the paint.

Last edited by Dave Sal; 01-15-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Dave Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #11

After seeing a plan on Ana White I built a washer dryer pedestal for my beach house. I made it tall enough that I can fit two laundry baskets underneath.

http://ana-white.com/2011/01/sausha%...ryer-pedestals

These are not mine:

Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote