Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #1

Share |

Building New floor above Foyer

I'm looking to build a floor on the 2nd floor of my house. It would go over the 2 story foyer area. The size of the floor is small overall, 9 x 7. Any guess what the cost to complete this would be (contractor charge)? I live in IL in the Chicagoland area.

Just looking for the floor. I'll do the electric, drywall, carpeting.

Let me know.

Thanks!!!

matgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #2

Not having seen your job and not knowing the specifics of the structure, there is no way that anyone on this site can give you a cost estimate that will be anywhere close to accurate. Actually, it would be irresponsible for anyone to do so.

Your best course of action would be to have a few remodelers or carpenters give you bids for the work. That way you're getting an accurate representation of the costs associated with the contractors in your area and the specifics of the job (insurance, workers comp, materials, codes, structural upgrades that may be required, etc.).

Since you're wiring it yourself, be sure you understand the squirelly electric code requirements that are specific to the Chicago area (they're famous for them). Otherwise you're likely to have trouble with resale, not to mention the building inspector.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

What he said ^^^^

I'll add - A friend of mine had this done to a house when it was under construction. The thought was to eliminate the 2 story foyer to get an additional closet and a larger bedroom. The standard design from the builder had the 2 story foyer for that particular house.

in retrospect my friend regrets it. He is jealous of the additional light the foyer brings in at his neighbors houses and he didn't really need the slightly larger bedroom and additional closet. We both think it hurt his resale.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote