Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #1

Share |

Building a Grape Arbor

For years I have had my grapes growing on a trellis that ended up looking like a baseball backstop . Furthermore I have found it isn't the ideal way to grow grapes. Many people around here simply pound stakes into the ground and run a heavy wire across the top. They keep the plants tightly cropped and low to the ground. That is fine for grape production but it doesn't look nice. I would like to have an arbor based on arbors I have seen in Germany.

I fully expected to find tons of ideas on the internet and possibly even plans. I was mistaken. What I've found is either primitive or way over my head. curved wood? please! I made a very rough (coffee stained) sketch of a general idea and was wondering if anyone could help me along here. I have basic to intermediate skills but design isn't my forte.

Here is the area where I plan to install it. The old trellis was falling apart so I tore most of it down. It is 8' tall but I want the new one to be a little shorter, maybe 7feet, but I'm still undecided. I also want two feet of it to over hang the fence into the side yard. From the fence to the right side of the electrical box is 13ft.

Here is the sketch I drew.

I am not even sure if it is feasible or if anyone has ideas to make it better. (I made a mistake when I marked the 16 feet).

I also need advice on what type and sizes of wood to use.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Hurriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #2

Building a Grape Arbor

I'm thinking this would make a nice Timber Frame project.
The wood type will depend on where you are located. Around here, Fir or Pine are common for this style of structure.
Pour concrete in sonatubes to anchor the posts to. Don't bury them.

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #3

Building a Grape Arbor

That is exactly the look I envision, I just didn't know what it was called. I searched and found that a lot of folks use 6x6's but that may look too big for my project. It was interesting to see the beautiful work people do with timber framing. I had no idea.
Hurriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #4

Building a Grape Arbor

Larger posts are used because the strength of the posts is reduced due to the notching.
If you start with 4 by's, the post is weakened further by notching and the structure fails prematurely.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote