Building A Garden Cart - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
"Old" Newbie

Rewards Points: 95

Building a Garden Cart

I have a Garden Way (I think that was the brand) garden cart that provided incredible service for more than 20 years but has been repaired for the last time.
I'm looking for some good plans to make my own. Any suggestions? All I found in the topic search was a thread about tires.
Thanks,
Rob

Advertisement

RCrosby257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 348

Building a Garden Cart

Just curious how did you wear it out ?

My garden way cart is 30yrs old this year and been through alot of use

and ABUSE and is still going. Heh heh

Advertisement

High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Building a Garden Cart

What part of it wore out? If you like the shape and all, you might be able to use what you have as the pattern and form and make a new "body" out of fiberglass like you would a boat hull. Whether practical, I do not know.

As for plans? I would search online for something like "garden cart plans" and see what turns up. Also search for ready to assemble options. I have seen some nice teak garden carts that were RTA kits. Seems like a bit of overkill but somebody probably makes kits in other materials. I will do the same and post back if I find anything special.

What qualities and features are you looking to have? Price point?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Building a Garden Cart

Well I found a bunch o stuff with similar search paths but did not know what you had in mind and do not know the cart you have now.

I did find a garden cart blog and the person is selling plans to build a Whizbang garden cart. Made me giggle and I am half tempted to send him $15 just for that! Can you imagine your bragging rights being able to say yours is a Whizbang? Trick it out with some flames and pinstriping?

http://gardencartblog.blogspot.com/

Mother Earth came up in a search with instructions for building an Irish mail cart for under $50 (in 1983) dollars.

I found quite a few hardware only kits (wheels, cart handle, etc.) and of course lots of RTA carts in a range of prices.

Last edited by user1007; 04-13-2013 at 05:18 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
"Old" Newbie

Building a Garden Cart

Thanks for all the replies. Really nothing left to work with on the old one. Steel tubing legs have worn halfway through on the bottom. I pop riveted lengths of strapping to shore those up. Steel edging is rusted, cracked and bent, nothing there. Plywood is all rotted and wheel rims are bent from hitting a dip at "speed" with a load of stone wall rock. It owes me nothing.
It's final act of service might be suggesting that I slow down a bit. Will let y'all know what I end up doing.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Building a Garden Cart

This month's issue of Family Handyman had an article on a DIY garden cart that looked pretty good. I can't find the plans online yet, but you can probably pick up the issue locally at HD.
wetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
"Old" Newbie

Building a Garden Cart

wetech,
Found the magazine and have the cart about half build. Looks promising.
Thanks all!
Rob

Advertisement