Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #1

Share |

Building columns for basement poles

I plan to build columns around basement poles. Right now I'm thinking 1X material of some kind fastened to blocks attached top and bottom. Then trim around the top and bottom with molding (still thinking what style). I'm thinking pressure treated blocking at the bottom screwed to the floor with tapcons. The upper pieces will be screwed to the soffit framing. Any suggestions on material?

MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Willing to listen

The guy that framed mine used 2X and actually shot a couple of nails thru and directly into the steel columns. On one we ran electrical down it for a shallow outlet box which worked out well. I turned another post into a pub table by cutting a table top in half and re-assembling it around the post. Good luck.

Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #3

Have a plan I need suggestions on.

Bolt 2X4's to two sides of each column using self threading metal screws/bolts. I will recess the holes so the screw/bolt will be set below the surface. Then screw 1X8's on each side and rip 1X8's to the correct width to fit between the two that are already screwed to the 2X4's. I will adjust the width of all the 1X's so the end box will be square and equal on all 4 sides.

Problem with this idea?

Is MDF a good product for this? I was thinking any wood that was clear would be much more expensive. But if MDF isn't suited for such a project, I will suffer the cost of clear planks.

Thanks
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKy55 View Post
Have a plan I need suggestions on.

Bolt 2X4's to two sides of each column using self threading metal screws/bolts. I will recess the holes so the screw/bolt will be set below the surface. Then screw 1X8's on each side and rip 1X8's to the correct width to fit between the two that are already screwed to the 2X4's. I will adjust the width of all the 1X's so the end box will be square and equal on all 4 sides.

Problem with this idea?

Is MDF a good product for this? I was thinking any wood that was clear would be much more expensive. But if MDF isn't suited for such a project, I will suffer the cost of clear planks.

Thanks
I did it similar to what you are suggesting at an old house, then sheetrocked it to make it smooth and match the walls. Corner beaded all corners.

Was kind of a hassle, but they look good.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldhouseguy For This Useful Post:
MikeKy55 (09-25-2011)