Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

building a beam, splice placement

When building a triple beam supported by 6x6 posts, is it allowable to place splices in 2 of the 3 boards over the same post?

My engineer has specified triple 2x10 beams over 6x6 posts, the posts are on 7' OC spacing, so if I'm using 16' boards, each board will be over a post on each end and one post in the middle, I can't possibly limit myself to 1 splice over any interior post unless I can come up with 21' long boards...

The beam overall is about 39' long, 7' of it is under the front room which is a single story so that part is specified as (2) 2x10, so 2 boards are 39' while the third is 32'.

WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #2

Yes, you can have two of the three boards end and start on the same post. The continuous board should be the center board. As an architect specified the girder and posts you can always ask him but I believe it to be fine and have passed many a building inspection with it. If you have plans the architect should have included a sheet with a nailing schedule, just be sure to follow the schedule as a minimum standard. Good Luck.

TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #3

NOTE: Always place the splices of support beams right over the support column.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
I ask the impossible!

Yes, I did know that and it was part of what lead me to my question because I knew splices should be over posts and that such splices should be staggered so that all of your boards don't splice at one place. And I also get that sometimes important points like this one bear emphasis in case anybody else is reading this in the future who perhaps might not be as aware of the fact as I.

As such, for anybody reading, let me reinforce the point with my own examples. My house has an existing triple 2x6 center beam. Pictured below is a section of that beam. The board on the left side is spliced away from support over the same span as the two splices visible in the photo, the middle board is spliced where my finger is pointing and the splice on the board on the right side is very obvious because you can see the bottom inch of the board where it has seperated and dropped.

This section of the beam coincides with a major sag in the floor above, and it is the point where the load from the staircase is carried - further, you can see in the photo that a joist discontinuity is carried nearby due to the crawlspace access.
Attached Thumbnails
building a beam, splice placement-center-beam-2-splices.jpg  
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote