Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:01 AM   #1

Share |

Builder skipped ceiling joists in bonus room need advice

Our builder went belly up and need less to saywe continue to find more and more problems. The ceiling joists in the blue print for our bonus room were to be 16" on center. He skipped everyone so all the ceiling joists are 32" on center. All of the trusses are tied into a 6' knee wall, with the ceiling joist being the on an every other pattern. I am planning on adding in the ceiling joists. I wanted to double check nd see if anyone knew if this was necessarybefore I star al of the work. Any feedback is welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Builder skipped ceiling joists in bonus room need advice-rafter-spacing-west-end.jpg  

Last edited by minicus; 08-02-2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: adding picture
minicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #2

sounds like you need some eyes on help.. Consider getting another builder or good home inspector.. ask for a detailed list of problems with solutions.

you should double check the status of any permits you have..and what you need to do.

Trusses should be on 2' centers (usually max) spacing should be on your truss details.

If you plan on drywall ceiling, Yes 32" is to much.

get some help, you will be glad you did.

Last edited by Big Bob; 08-02-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicus View Post
Our builder went belly up and need less to saywe continue to find more and more problems. The ceiling joists in the blue print for our bonus room were to be 16" on center. He skipped everyone so all the ceiling joists are 32" on center. All of the trusses are tied into a 6' knee wall, with the ceiling joist being the on an every other pattern. I am planning on adding in the ceiling joists. I wanted to double check nd see if anyone knew if this was necessarybefore I star al of the work. Any feedback is welcomed.
Can't you call the Architect that drew your plans and ask him what to do?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
sounds like you need some eyes on help.. Consider getting another builder ......you should double check the status of any permits you have..and what you need to do....
I am thinking the same thing - another builder to check over everything, along with, the plans in hand.
Get things looked at, not just the issue being discussed. I'd be concerned about what else he might have "skimped" on structurally (as well as other matters/areas).
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Minicus... all good advice above. But, your post is unclear to me. Can you post a picture?
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #6

32"oc is not a good spacing for most residential construction. The roof sheathing can't span that far, let alone the sheetrock ceiling. I'd be concerned all around. You certainly need to add more ceiling joists and rafters.

How to do that is something that you really need to work with a professional on. The challenge is matching the trusses' deflection under loads with conventional framing in between. Not easy to do.

My suggestion is to involve a structural engineer. My next call would be to the local inspection department to determine how on earth he passed a rough-in framing inspection. If he did, they should be ashamed.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:28 PM   #7

Did you choose a builder based upon cheap price or did you get a license number, insurance info, and performance bond? and then verify the information?

Contact your local building inspector for help. He can tell you if there is a state or local builders board. If so, contact them for help.

I am a licensed contractor, and no, I have no sympathy if you just based your purchase on cheap price only.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:14 AM   #8
Whatamess

If the building inspector passed this I would talk to a lawyer. Usually they are immune from lawsuits but I would at least ask. Things change everyday. After all this is what the build permits and inspections system was set up to prevent.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:00 AM   #9

collar ties / gable end x brace / rat run....... thats just from the pic

can't believe a pro would hang that ceiling...

Where do you live?

you really need a builder to check the whole house out.

How about the $...who owes who? Are you prepared for the courts to send you a bill?

oops!!! is this in Costa Rica ?

Last edited by Big Bob; 08-03-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #10
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
collar ties / gable end x brace / rat run....... thats just from the pic

can't believe a pro would hang that ceiling...
?
Usually, when a builder is going belly up, he ends up doing the finish work himself, or hires hacks (working for cheap) to finish it.
I'd bet that one, or the other, did that drywall.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-03-2008 at 11:13 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #11
Whatamess

No it is much worse in Costa Rica.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by crecore View Post
Minicus... all good advice above. But, your post is unclear to me. Can you post a picture?

Whoops, lol, how'd I miss that picture?

so, yeah 32" oc for sheetrock?? yikes! Is that 5/8"? double yikes! To make matters worse it looks like it's glued!
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Did you choose a builder based upon cheap price or did you get a license number, insurance info, and performance bond? and then verify the information?

I am a licensed contractor, and no, I have no sympathy if you just based your purchase on cheap price only.
The OP probably fully understands the situation he's in, and didn't ask for our sympathy.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazinCR View Post
If the building inspector passed this I would talk to a lawyer. Usually they are immune from lawsuits but I would at least ask. Things change everyday. After all this is what the build permits and inspections system was set up to prevent.
As embarassing as this framing should be to the local inspection department if it was inspected and passed, you don't have much recourse against the city. In order to be awarded damages, you have to prove gross negligence on their part. I assure you, gross negligence is pretty difficult to prove if they actually performed an on-site inspection. Most cases that a city loses will simply result in a damages award that covers the legal fees. It is next to impossible to hold the city financially responsible for your lousy builder's mistakes. I'd focus my lawyer's efforts elsewhere.

If it did pass a framing inspection, I would request a meeting with the building department director, as well as the city manager/mayor/councilman. They need to know how ineffective their inspector is.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #15

off topic, but a good place to share this.

Very green inspector tags and does an on the spot evacuation and closes down a nursing home. 77 people moved 50% by ambulance... Improper and disconected gas vent stack on h2o heater in the kitchen.

Turns out this is an electric H20 heater and he was looking at an old not used range vent duct.

LOL

owner decides this is a good time to do some renovations.... Building Dept advised there would not be any fees for the permit...