Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #1

Share |

Brite or Galvanized Nails for Crown Moulding

Correct me if I am wrong, but there isn't any benefit to hanging paint grade crown moulding with galvanized nails and a finish gun or is there?
Inow one thing, I bought some galvanized DA nails for a new finish gun and wondered wht the price, until I looked closely and saw that they were gavanized.

Klawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #2

Provided your crown is indoors, there's no need or benefit to using galvanized nails. Outdoors it is a must. Honestly they'll work fine for interior work, but if I had my choice I'd opt for plain old bright nails.

As to whether or not there's a benefit of using a gun....That's a no-brainer in my book. Only easy way to do it! I've done it the old school way when the gun went down once and I didn't enjoy it.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:12 AM   #3

Thanks, Termite. I thought so but didn't really know and the time to find out is before making a mistake.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
DIY staff

Hello again! Like Termite said--Makes not difference.

However-Now you have nails that you can also use for your outside projects!

I always get the galvanized as my work is a mix of indoor and outside work--With my over 50 eyes I can't tell the two apart--So I just get the galvanized.

--MIKE---

P.S. I left my good brad gun some where--Grrr--Bought another Rigid yesterday-

Back op guns where all in my shop-----Thats what I get for cleaning the truck!-Ha Ha--------
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #5

Stinks to have tools sprout legs and walk off. Understand it is a problem for contractors travelling to job sites and others. (A landscape contracter from the neighborood got to interested when he spied my DeWalt 12" back in the garage, while doing some concrete work on my nickel. I could just see him inventorying the contents of my garage.) I had all my tools ripped off from my garage once. They were conveniently located in boxes waiting to go on the moving van.

But what you said fits with what the Senco tech and a guy at the HD said. It is hard to sell the more pricey guns, not because contractors don't want to pay the $$$ for them, but the extra nice stuff disappears from the back of your truck in no time.

Hope you had a good turkey day, Mike.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
DIY staff

I found the gun. I had taken a box of odds and ends out of the truck. The gun had been tossed into the box.

I've lost a few tools to thieves over the years..There are a few people in this world that I don't have a use for. However -There are more good folks than bad---lots more.

I always like to have a back-up gun. A brad gun for a trimmer is like a pencil for an accountant.

My big compressor is showing signs of upcoming failure--Once again I haven't got a rebuild kit waiting-

I better order one today!!!! Thank for your concern,MIKE---

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote