Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
"Old" Newbie

Share |

Brad Nailer Repair

I have a 5 year old Husky brad nailer that stopped working the other day. Should have bought a better unit in the first place but I'm wondering if I can repair it rather than just junk it.
Husky tells me parts are no longer available.
What broke is the spring actuated "nose safety". I wondered about brazing it back together but I'm guessing that if the metal fatigued and broke once it might not last long the second time time around. (Break clearly shows "crystallized" metal structure.) Is there a source of used parts other than Husky that I might access? Maybe someone with a unit where something else broke and they saved what was left for parts?
Disabling the "trigger disconnect" seems to me to be a BAD idea!?
Your thoughts?
Thanks,
Again, Rob

RCrosby257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #2

Brad Nailer Repair

Time for a new better brand.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #3

Brad Nailer Repair

Dont even think about disabling the safety. I would by a reconed hitachi
mknasa dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
DIY staff

Brad Nailer Repair

I have two Rigid 2" guns that I really like---lots of miles on those guns----

Bostich --I have two of those and I hate them---and a pile of other brands----
Old 04-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Brad Nailer Repair

dont waste your time trying to fix a cheapo gun like husky, drop the coin and buy a newer gun

brand wise it depends on how often your going to be using it. if its all the time look into paslode, hitachi, or senco. all higher end models of guns.. for a mid range gun look into porter cable, bosch, bostich,

now if you really wanna go high end you can look into Omer, Grex Green Buddy, or cadex even max air
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #6

Brad Nailer Repair

Seems like I got a husky brad nailer once, it came with a air compressor or something.
I tried it out and gave it to someone that had no brad nailer .... it just had to many limitations for my use.

On the other hand, I have my bostich brad gun safety removed and tied back.
If doing a set of stairs and need to set the balusters, you cant get where you want with the safety.
Tie it back and can cover the brad with the fillet. Just saying, I tear into my brad gun to modify it to do what I want, and the safety is the first to go. You really do not want to use my framing gun .... my boss does not like it on the job site, but uses it every chance he can.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #7

Brad Nailer Repair

At work all of our brad guns dont have safeties on them (Senco brand) and I have gotten used to using those that way that the ones I have at home are annoying. I know there is an online store www.ereplacementparts.com that I have dealt with plenty of times that most likely will have what you need to replace the gun if you want to go that route.
Jason34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
DIY staff

Brad Nailer Repair

Removing the safety is not recommended for anybody---particularly an inexperienced worker---

One feature worth paying extra for---a nose door---(I made up that name)

Jambs happen--you need to be able to open the nose of the gun without tools to free up the crushed brad----you don't want your work to stop because you can't find a metric Allen wrench.

I had a brand new Senco brad gun----simple jamb----removed the nose with the Allen wrench---two plastic spacers and a spring flew into the sawdust and clippings around the chop saw table----

Gun went into my junk box----never shot another brad----get a gun with a 'no tools needed' 'nose door'
Old 04-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #9

Brad Nailer Repair

I have never came across a gun which needed tools to remove jams. At work all I basically use is Senco. Our 16awg finish guns and 16awg stable guns have a nose door that can easily be flipped open. I dont know about the guns I have at home as I have yet to have any jams.
Jason34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #10

Brad Nailer Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
dont waste your time trying to fix a cheapo gun like husky, drop the coin and buy a newer gun

brand wise it depends on how often your going to be using it. if its all the time look into paslode, hitachi, or senco. all higher end models of guns.. for a mid range gun look into porter cable, bosch, bostich,

now if you really wanna go high end you can look into Omer, Grex Green Buddy, or cadex even max air
Couldn't have said it better myself!
jessrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
DIY staff

Brad Nailer Repair

I like the old USA made Senco guns-----best ever made-----the new imported ones----that is what I junked----no nose door----
Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
"Old" Newbie

Brad Nailer Repair

Great responses! Thanks, all! Will be shopping for a quality gun as I do use it quite a bit. (More than I ever thought I would.) And will make sure it has a "nose door".
RCrosby257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #13

Brad Nailer Repair

I really like the battery powered dewalt guns. I hate running air hose if i dont have to.
one cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
journeyman carpenter

Brad Nailer Repair

i have a good friend who has the same paslode 18 gauge as me, he has the nose pinned back both with a small block of hardwood and hockey tape.. i wont touch the thing. i like knowing i have the nose placed first before shooting especially with stain grade work

as for the dewalt guns... dewalt guns are notorioius for jambs no matter if its cordless or air.. i hate the bloody things.. the cordless ones weigh a ton too compared to the paslode "impulse" guns, if your going to go cordless go with the company that came up with the idea and perfected it
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
Architectural Sculptor

Brad Nailer Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCrosby257 View Post
I have a 5 year old Husky brad nailer that stopped working the other day. Should have bought a better unit in the first place but I'm wondering if I can repair it rather than just junk it.
Husky tells me parts are no longer available.

What broke is the spring actuated "nose safety". I wondered about brazing it back together but I'm guessing that if the metal fatigued and broke once it might not last long the second time time around

Disabling the "trigger disconnect" seems to me to be a BAD idea!?
Your thoughts?
Thanks,
Again, Rob
The fact parts are no longer available is a big clue to me about a few things.
If you jury rig the safety, the very first time you shoot a nail into your leg because the repair failed, or worse- you had disabled and overrode the safety and thought you would just be "carefull" you WILL regret it big time!
If you happen to accidentally shoot a nail into a helper or friend's leg or worse, you will get sued.
Get rid of it and buy a new one if the part to fix it right are not available.

On the other comments about brad and nail guns used at work without a safety, I would think OSHA regulations would come into play there, if as my foreman said- the fine for not locking down a rolling scaffold's legs into the casters with the pin is something like $2500 per wheel, I would imagine a nail gun without a safety, that a light accidental bump on the trigger could send a nail shooting like a bullet into another worker's eye would carry at least as much of a fine and worse.

Last edited by RWolff; 04-20-2013 at 03:17 PM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-20-2013)