DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

bracket for ramps?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Fix'n it 
#1 ·
I've got three steps leading up from a basement. They're 1" wood with a nose on the front of the treads. The risers are open.

I'd like to fashion a ramp of sorts to allow my wife & kids to roll their bikes up. But I'd rather not use the kind of ramp brackets that simply lay on top of the tread. As in, not this kind:

http://www.amazon.com/Vestil-RK-12-Wooden-Bracket-Width/dp/B00AAMEV2G

Those are fine and all, but I'd rather have something that won't be able to slide off. Something that instead of laying on top, drops down into a slot of some kind. I'd, of course, have to put sufficient material on the face of the top riser.

Sort of like a lower-case 'r' shaped kind of thing. With a slot put on the face of the riser for it. The upstroke of the 'r' would go into the slot on the riser (a separate piece) and then the wood ramp would rest on the top of the 'r'. Follow?

Anyone seen such a thing? I could swear I've seen something like that somewhere along the line. But I my search-fu just isn't finding what I'm after. Suggestions?

There's not much load expected here. I'd slope them to carry their weight on the noses of the treads anyway. This to avoid the springing loads of kids jumping on them as if they were some kind of bridge.

See less See more
#3 ·
Just an idea.
Two pieces of unistrut.
One get installed opening side up by drilling holes big enough to fit a socket for 1/4 lags that get screwed though the riser and into the stringers.
The other goes onto the ramps with counter bored holes so the bolt heads sit flush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.