Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2007, 08:52 AM   #1

Share |

Boxing for stone...

Ok, my lead guy was severely misusing my tools and when instructed he needs to replace the items that are no longer working properly...he commented "how about if I just don't come back"...well, me being the poker player that I am called his bluff and said "ok...if that's how you feel...see you later". End of that story.....

Anyway, I need to verify the proper way to box in for the upcoming stonework that will be goin on the front of the house. Stone will be going all the way up to the eaves, have 3 windows and one 2 garage door. What do I need to do so that when my mason crew gets here they can get right to work?

PWCdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Woodworker and Contractor

Boxing for stone...

I guess you need to hire a new lead guy I also don't think its a bluff if he really leaves and you can't do his job The windows aren't in already?Don't know exactly how you need to box the windows or door because there are so many choices on how. What look are you going for inset, 1/2 inset, flush, what kind of stone round, flat, thin, thick, flag stone. All these need to be stated first.

Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #3

Boxing for stone...

So you fired the only guy in the company who knows what he was doing? Who was the "lead" guy, leading? Why don't these guys have their own tools? You being the boss, shouldn't you know what's going on and how to do it?
Very odd post.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:00 AM   #4

Boxing for stone...

LOL...you're kidding right? You'd keep a guy onsite that continually abused and/or broke your tools even though he was the most experienced? Negative. If so....I'll send him your way. IMO, he over estimated his own worth on a jobsite and probably never expected me to tell him to walk. If it's my dollar paying for materials and tools then I kinda get to call the shots. If my workers supply their own tools then their wage is increased. If they don't...then their wage is lower. Simple economics. Framers are a dime a dozen....and a lot of them are unreliable from my experience. I've found a replacement that will work out better for me anyway.

The original post was an inquiry as to the proper way to accomplish a given task...not a chance to critique a business decision. In the future, if you have nothing constructive to offer, please refrain from spamming the thread.

Last edited by PWCdoc; 12-08-2007 at 08:03 AM. Reason: added text
Old 12-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #5

Boxing for stone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCdoc View Post
LOL...you're kidding right? You'd keep a guy onsite that continually abused and/or broke your tools even though he was the most experienced?
I don't think he was suggesting you should keep a bad employee, I think he was just suggesting that you'd be better off if you were the most knowledgeable builder on your own crew. Kinda puts you in a pickle when you have to fire someone who knows more than you about your project.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #6

Boxing for stone...

Doc, I also asked you to give some more info so I could help For picking on you, here goes you fired the only guy on the job who knew how to do the job, you let someone abuse your tools, you hired guys who don't have their own tools, and last you don't know how to build it yourself Now answer my questions and I'll try to post more helpful info next time, But you have to laugh some or you explode

Also if your a builder/contractor this is the sister site set up for us to ask questions from other pros not DIY

http://www.contractortalk.com/

Last edited by Kingfisher; 12-08-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: add link
Old 12-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #7

Boxing for stone...

I am the homeowner trying to make sure my job gets done correctly. I did find the information I needed so I'm good to go on that part. This site can be a huge godsend for people working on their projects....thanks and I'll continue to visit this site...to learn and to assist if I can.

On another note...the guy I had to let go ( ) (and the first one as well) were both arrested last night and are still in jail as of today. 7 FTA warrants for the last one I let go....failure to appear for what...I have no idea. But....here I am loading up all my tools tonight to make sure I still have them tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:39 PM   #8

Boxing for stone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCdoc View Post
I am the homeowner trying to make sure my job gets done correctly. I did find the information I needed so I'm good to go on that part. This site can be a huge godsend for people working on their projects....thanks and I'll continue to visit this site...to learn and to assist if I can.

On another note...the guy I had to let go ( ) (and the first one as well) were both arrested last night and are still in jail as of today. 7 FTA warrants for the last one I let go....failure to appear for what...I have no idea. But....here I am loading up all my tools tonight to make sure I still have them tomorrow.
The first post was full of crap and the second post is full of crap.
Ron
Old 12-11-2007, 06:42 AM   #9

Boxing for stone...

What exactly is full of crap? IMO your attitude is full of crap. What happened....you out of a job and feeling sympathy for the losers?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:38 AM   #10

Boxing for stone...

Lets not go there You came for help and I'll try can you go back and answer some of my questions on how you where building? Are you planing on timming the windows with wood or just stone? In the end you may just get you mason there to see how he normaly does it. But if you have a design in mind already just try to describe it
Old 12-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #11

Boxing for stone...

King, first...let me clarify that the negative responses I posted were referring to Ron....not you.

Essentially, I have the front of the house (2 car garage w/bonus room above and entry to left side). Total surface area is approximately 380 sqft to lay veneer to. Planning on running the stone directly to the windows with no wood trim applied. Above the garage door I have 3 arched windows. I did call my mason and explained what my situation was and discussed my options and what would be best/easiest for him as well. On his advice, I boxed out 1.5" at the front corners and at the gable end. I'm boxing the outer trim "out" 1.5" so the masons can tuck the stone under for a clean look.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #12

Boxing for stone...

sounds great, glad you got it worked out
Old 12-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #13

Boxing for stone...

With any luck, the "Mason" will show up with tools...and no outstanding warrants. Did you get this guy roaming around the Home Depot parking lot too?
Ron
Old 12-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #14

Boxing for stone...

You are making assumptions Ron. Try to repost after you mature enough to actually have a mature discussion. I'm going to guess that this isn't the first thread you have spammed up. Lets see now...there is the delete key....and it has your name on it.