Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 PM   #1

Share |

Boxing in a steel pole

What isthe correct way to box in this steel header support pole? I am planning on replacing the wrought iron rail with wood and also want to cover the pole in wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Boxing in a steel pole-p1010203.jpg  

Last edited by beerdog; 03-09-2009 at 11:11 PM.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:03 AM   #2

Boxing in a steel pole

Unique problem. I'd want to keep the post at it's current dimension, which already appears big relative to the banister. Therefore, I'd rap the pole in a wood pattern vinyl that works with the replacement banister's wood, then, using small headed screws, apply mouldings to the post's vertical edges and at the ceiling.

artdunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #3

Boxing in a steel pole

Yeah, nothing says quality like contact paper wrapped around a post next to the granite.
The post is already pretty big. If you could get away with 1/2" birch ply, you could miter the corners and eliminate the need for corner molding.
Depends on how good your skills are. You'll also need to scribe around the granite overhang.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Chicago, IL

Boxing in a steel pole

Can you post a picture that shows a wider view of the stairway?
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
the Musigician

Boxing in a steel pole

now Ron.... be nice.... this site is FORummm bouncing many different ideas around! there usually is more than one way to approach a problem.
my suggestion would be to remove the metal pole and replace with wood to match your new balusters.
i agree, it'd look like crap to wrap it in vinyl, but that MAY be the best option in this case...i ended up doing it once to hide a vent pipe in our old bathroom before selling it....*yuk* ......but it still sold.

DM
Old 03-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
Chicago, IL

Boxing in a steel pole

Can't be certain from that picture, but that is likely a structural column, in which case replacement is a somewhat more complicated option. IMO any sort of veneer with exposed mitered corners is likely going to get beat up pretty quickly in that location.

-------

Home Inspection: "A business with illogically high liability, slim profit margins and limited economies of scale. An incredibly diverse, multi-disciplined consulting service, delivered under difficult in-field circumstances, before a hostile audience in an impossibly short time frame, requiring the production of an extraordinarily detailed technical report, almost instantly, without benefit of research facilities or resources." - Alan Carson

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 03-10-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Boxing in a steel pole

Geez, Mouse. I kind of liked Ron's idea of contact paper.

You've got a cabinet to mount to, right? Why not trash the whole wrought iron 50's look, (just take it all out), and install a nice wood stair railing? And if it is possible (we can't see the steps) think about mounting in front of the cabinets, rather than on the side like it is now.

Truthfully, that big post looks like a trip hazard right now. And it will only get worse if you put in a larger post there on the side of the kitchen cabinet.

Last edited by Willie T; 03-10-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Drywall Contractor

Boxing in a steel pole

Just a thought, how about tiling it?
Darren@Partners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #9
Chicago, IL

Boxing in a steel pole

One reason I'd like to see a picture of the entire staircase: often stairs of that era with wrought iron hand rails were manufactured metal-stringer units, and are often non-compliant with current code (open risers, under-width treads).

If you start making modifications to the hand rails and guards, you could find yourself in a position where you are required to bring the entire staircase up to current code.

---------

Home Inspection: "A business with illogically high liability, slim profit margins and limited economies of scale. An incredibly diverse, multi-disciplined consulting service, delivered under difficult in-field circumstances, before a hostile audience in an impossibly short time frame, requiring the production of an extraordinarily detailed technical report, almost instantly, without benefit of research facilities or resources." - Alan Carson
Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
the Musigician

Boxing in a steel pole

good points both posts Michael.
another idea could be using an oak veneer wood 'doorskin' instead of vinyl paper to wrap it, that's the thinnest wood you can get! and then follow art's advise and "apply mouldings to the post's vertical edges and at the ceiling."
just another way to skin this critter..... get it? skin? hehehe i know, i know... 300,000 comedians out of a job......

DM

Last edited by DangerMouse; 03-10-2009 at 10:00 AM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #11

Boxing in a steel pole

Thanks for all the replys. I will post some more pics later tonight.

Ponch(CHiPs???) - If we ever meet and you suggest that to my wife I will destroy you! HA HA I have no idea how she has not figured that out yet.

Artdunbar - No offense, but I am going with wood.

The post cannot move. It is footed in the concrete slab and holds up the house. So I either need to paint it, tile it, vinyl it, etc. I really want to cover it with a nice hardwood. I did have a half inch slot cut in the granite arround the pole with this intention. The carpenter who installed the cabinets recommended that so it would look like the pole was there first once I boxed it in. The wrought iron rail will be replaced with a wood rail and ballusters. Here are some more detailed questions assuming I cover it with wood.

1) I was thinking of joining the corners with 45degree miters all the way up each corner. I figure this would make it look like a single piece of wood. Is this too long of run to maintain a good mitered fit? Bets way to cut a long miter? Post is 4 feet tall.

2) Best way to connect the wood to the steel pole.....construction adhesive, screw&anchor? I am thinking construction adhesive would be good since it would leave no visible trace.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #12

Boxing in a steel pole

oh...If you look to the left there is a black microwave on the counter. The side of it is also covered in magnets.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
the Musigician

Boxing in a steel pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
300,000 comedians out of a job......
never quoted mySELF before, but.....

DM
Old 03-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
the Musigician

Boxing in a steel pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdog View Post
Is this too long of run to maintain a good mitered fit?
that was my thought to begin with. that's why i suggested a wood doorskin and use 'L' trim on the edges, then just PL it together with some rubber-band clamps for a day. personally, i'd create the trim pieces from walnut or other hardwood, route the edges smooth, etc. but i have it laying around too, most people don't.

DM
Old 03-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #15

Boxing in a steel pole

What is L trim? What do you mean by PL it?