Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Box Beam and Porch Columns

I am planning on building a new home with a large front and back porch. It is a 2 story home and the posts will be load bearing. I will probably have the floorjoists cantilevered out to nail the porch rafters to and to pick up most of the load. I am trying to figure out the proper sequence for trimming out the columns and box beam, the proper dimensions, placement, and construction of the box beam etc. I want to use a 1x material for trimming and do not want any coil stock. Do I trim out the box beam first and then place the column after that?

jason1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Yes, the beam is trimmed out first, then the colums are installed. Be sure that there are no voids between the bottom of the rough beam and the trim wood at the locations of the columns, or the trim will be distorted when the columns are loaded. Also be sure that the location of the beam is far enough inside of the dimensions of the porch floor, so that the column bases do not overhang the porch flooring.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
Stairguy

why would you want to trim box 1st. What are the benefits of doing this 1st. Why wouldnt you just build the porch 1st then trim out the column.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertyme View Post
why would you want to trim box 1st. What are the benefits of doing this 1st. Why wouldnt you just build the porch 1st then trim out the column.
It is much easier to get a straight trim out on the beam when you can work it without the columns being in the way. This avoids having to fit numerous pieces between the columns, not only making it much easier to run straight lines, but eliminating unnecessary joints, each a future water leak that could lead to deterioration of the beam framing. You are indeed building the porch first; then trimming out the columns.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 09-11-2010 at 09:21 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
Stairguy

that does make sense after reading the 1st post again I mis-understood what he was trying to do.I was thinking he was trying to make trim for the column 1st then put the load bearing column in.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote