Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #1

Share |

Bottom plate and notched studs

I have a wall (non-load bearing) that is about 20 feet long. There were some leaks previously and a section of the bottom plate (about 8' long) is partially rotted. Now that I have fixed the leak I am attacking the partically rotted bottom plate.

Since the wall is not load bearing, it is not too tricky. I used a sawzall to cut slice across the bottom of each stud, then I used a long flex blade to cut through the hard nails. Those hard nails are tough, they used that to attach wood to the concrete slab 40 years ago? Manual hammering?

So I was able slid out the old bottom plate and put in a new one.

Now the problem is there was an ice maker line that runs the entire length of that wall along the bottom. They notched the bottom of each stud like this.

I have since redone this line so it goes up the attic over and down so now I have 14 studs every one of them notched like this. Whoever cut them notched quite a bit more than necessary.

My question is if I should do something about these notches? I am trying to decide between three approaches:

(1) Do nothing since it's non-load bearing, just attach the studs as is back to the new bottom plate. Done.

(2) Attach the studs back to the new bottom plate. Cut a short piece to fit snuggly between each pair of studs and attach it to the top of the bottom plate.

(3) Carefully cut the bottom of each stud shorter by 1.5" eliminating the notches completely and slide a new piece of 2x4 under, basically doubling the bottom plate.

Comments?
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Check with the AHJ first. They may not approve of some of the ideas.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #3

If I do nothing at all (option #1), then I have restored it back to it's original condition.

Options 2 and 3 will strengthen the wall some.

Just not sure if it's even necessary if it's not a even load bearing wall.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #4

Willie T is spot on, check with your building department. our opinions while valuable to ourselves is of no value to them.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

I wanted to make sure my post wasn't misunderstood.

I wasn't asking if it's OK to notch the studs to run a 1/2" water line along it. I agree if that's the case it would be a question for the building department.

The notches were put in 40 years ago. The line was ran 40 years ago, all approved and permitted. I have rerouted the line so now I have a series of notches at the bottom where it meets the plate.

I am just asking while I have the sheet rock off should I do something to strengthen it. I haven't altered anything structurally.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Why dont you just get rid of the old plumbing and run full studs? You said the line was dead, right? Unless I dont understand?

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Why dont you just get rid of the old plumbing and run full studs? You said the line was dead, right? Unless I dont understand?
The old plumbing line has been removed. That line ran 20' along the top of the bottom plate, hence I have over a dozen notched studs. Now the line goes up the attic, across and back down.

You are suggesting I knock down the 20' wall and build a new one?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Pull the line, then sister on maybe 18" to each stud? If it will help you sleep better.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote