Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bottom plate for new interior wall

Ok I'm going to be helping a friend of mine put a closet in his house. There is already a space in the room that is recessed back some so all we need to do is put up a wall with a door and then we have a closet. The room has hardwood floors and i was wondering if we need to pull up some hardwood an nail it into the subfloor or if it would be ok to attach it to the hardwood itself, i know if we attach it to the hardwood it could pose futur problems if they ever wanted to remove the hardwood and replace it with something else but is there any other reason why not to do this or would it be acceptable.

912jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

No need to pull up the hardwood
Do the floor joists run perpindicular to the wall you want to build?
If so I'd try to nail into the joists

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #3

I dont know yet I havent had a chance to look, ill check although i dont think it would be necessary to go out of my way to hit a joist since the wall is really just to complete the closet and will not be load bearing, but I could be wrong on that.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Not absolutely necessary, in fact if the sub-floor is 3/4" and the hardwood is 3/4", and the bottom plate is 1-1/2", that total is 3" - as long as most hand and gun nails used for framing.

If the closet is to convert the room to a bedroom, make sure you have egress (escape) in case of fire, as a window or door to the exterior: http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...s-windows.aspx

Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #5

Yeah this is to make a bed room and there is a window to the exterior, also thats what i was thinking as far as the 3/4 hardwood and subfloor i figured it would be ok. The area of the room actually looks like it was meant to be a closet they just forgot to the put the front wall on so im gonna take care of it, thanks for the help.