BONDO - The Cure Of All Evils..... - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

BONDO - the cure of all evils.....

I have 2 area in which I plan to use a recessed hinge.
There is a *rough in hole* that I need to plug up . Part of the new routed hole for this hinge will be in this area.

Can I take Bondo and just fill it in....as I assume it will be just as hard if not harder when all said and done.

Advertisement

mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 268

Not sure about Bondo, as I believe that is a fiberglass filler. They do make 2 part epoxy products, but I don't know if it will be structural. I would use screws that penetrate the jamb and go into the framing beyond.

Advertisement

packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Funny. This has come up just a few times this week. I post again that Bondo is great for repairing autobody surfaces and maybe some fiberglass boat hulls. It is not a product for wood.

Your best bet are wood epoxy fillers from a nice company like Abatron or your real paint store may have alternatives. WoodEpox is pricey but great stuff to work with. It is structural and made to work with wood fibers. You will have no problem tooling it.

http://www.abatron.com/buildingandre.../woodepox.html

If you must buy from a box store check the expiration date of any two part stuff like epoxy. HD, Lowe's and others are notorious for not moving dated stock and you have not experienced a true living nightmare until you find yourself with resin that will never cure because the catalysts to cure them are outdated.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

This is what you need:

I love this stuff. Great for filling holes, reshaping corners, etc. When it's dry it sands, preps, and paints with the same characteristics as wood. It's solid - solid enough to drive screws into.
lowvolter (03-31-2012)
Old 03-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay 78 View Post
This is what you need:

I love this stuff. Great for filling holes, reshaping corners, etc. When it's dry it sands, preps, and paints with the same characteristics as wood. It's solid - solid enough to drive screws into.
Forgot about this stuff. I have used it often for filling too large screw holes where something something stable that can be drilled where door hardware, for example, has to go back in place.

It is fun and Parts A and B come in the same tube. You just knead them together to start the catalytic reaction and the resin curing process. You still want to check for expiration date though. It is not great for large holes or patches and you cannot easily putty knife and surface the stuff. It is fairly dense. Should work out well for your hinge situation though. I would still go with WoodEpox if it were me.

But you know, if you can get the stuff with French labeling as shown? You might be more attractive to women. If you wear a beret when working with it and carry french bread under your sweaty, hairy armpits home for dinner when the door hinge is in place.

Last edited by user1007; 03-31-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 636

This is what I use.
http://www.waterputty.com/

Cheap, easy to mix, hardens fast and sands great.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
Structural Engineer

Rewards Points: 25

Bondo has a product designed for patching wood. It is a paintable material. I used it to repair a few exterior wood posts on my wrap around porch. The repairs are about 3 years old and are still in great condition.
House Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

i always drill a hole and fill with a dowel, then redrill. Im not saying that bondo materials wont work but i personally find a limited use on wood. Wood shrinks overtime and bondo does not and sometimes cracks.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertyme View Post
i always drill a hole and fill with a dowel, then redrill. Im not saying that bondo materials wont work but i personally find a limited use on wood. Wood shrinks overtime and bondo does not and sometimes cracks.
Too true but try the Abatron wood restoration products someday. The wood restoration resins are nothing short of magical. I found them ages ago restoring rotted wood on sailboats. I used them extensively on weird shaped window frames in antique homes when I knew I was going to pay through the nose to have things like eliptical window frames with stained glass replaced.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 562

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post

But you know, if you can get the stuff with French labeling as shown? You might be more attractive to women. If you wear a beret when working with it and carry French bread under your sweaty, hairy armpits home for dinner when the door hinge is in place.

You left out the most important of items to have with you.

A bottle of red wine, and some Chanel #5.
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
You left out the most important of items to have with you.
A bottle of red wine, and some Chanel #5.
Ah yes. Coco Chanel got a suntan laying out on a boat deck and started the fashion that fuels cancer at tanning centers. She died of skin and lung cancer. Never sniffed her but maybe she smelled nice.

France can no longer produce a decent red wine. You have to go to Italy or actually Australia or California. My cousin owned an award winning winery in Painter, Virginia but aged and couldn't deal with it. I almost bought the place from him.

Advertisement