DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Blum hinges from 15 years ago??

30K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  MI-Roger 
#1 ·
We installed Kraftmaid cabinets in our kitchen 15-17 years ago. These cabinets use Blum face frame hinges in an antique bronze color, similar in design to Blum's current Compact 33 hinge but with two important differences.
  1. Our original hinges had the hinge cup mounting screws located on the butt side of the hinge cup's centerline. Current Model 33's have the mounting screws located outboard of the centerline. This means I will have to drill new mounting screws in the cabinet door.
  2. Current model Blum hinges apparently come in only silver color, no matching antique bronze color.
Unfortunately, I have had two hinges fail in the past year. Swapping them with hinges on seldom used doors is only a temporary soluiton. I would like to replace the failed hinges with Blum models identical to our existing hinges. Matching color is the most important issue.

Are the old style Blum hinges still available somewhere? Are current model Blum hinges available in the bronze color?

#2 ·
We installed Kraftmaid cabinets in our kitchen 15-17 years ago. These cabinets use Blum face frame hinges in an antique bronze color, similar in design to Blum's current Compact 33 hinge but with two important differences.
  1. Our original hinges had the hinge cup mounting screws located on the butt side of the hinge cup's centerline. Current Model 33's have the mounting screws located outboard of the centerline. This means I will have to drill new mounting screws in the cabinet door.
  2. Current model Blum hinges apparently come in only silver color, no matching antique bronze color.
Unfortunately, I have had two hinges fail in the past year. Swapping them with hinges on seldom used doors is only a temporary soluiton. I would like to replace the failed hinges with Blum models identical to our existing hinges. Matching color is the most important issue.

Are the old style Blum hinges still available somewhere? Are current model Blum hinges available in the bronze color?

Have you tried their website? http://www.blum.com/us/en/01/60/index.php
If you can't find your product, click on the CONTACT US link and give them a call.

#3 ·
Time results in lots of changes

1. The old style hinge is no longer available. Luckily the new style, Compact 33, will fit with only two small (#8) screw holes visible on the inside of the cabinet door. These can be filled with tinted putty.
  2. The new hinges are available in Nickel Plate finish only.
  3. The old style of mounting plate, wrap around style, has been recently discontinued! the new style of mounting plate attaches differently and will leave large visible holes in the cabinet frame.
Fate was on my side tonight and I located an internet retailer who has enough of the old style wrap around mounting plates, of correct overlap measurement, to provide me with new mounting plates in the Nickel Plate finish to replace all the hinges.

Now I will have new hinges mounted on new mounting plates, both pieces the same color, and both pieces using the same mounting holes. Well, almost the same mounting holes for the hinges.

Guess this is the best I could hope for.

#4 ·
  1. The old style hinge is no longer available. Luckily the new style, Compact 33, will fit with only two small (#8) screw holes visible on the inside of the cabinet door. These can be filled with tinted putty.
  2. The new hinges are available in Nickel Plate finish only.
  3. The old style of mounting plate, wrap around style, has been recently discontinued! the new style of mounting plate attaches differently and will leave large visible holes in the cabinet frame.
Fate was on my side tonight and I located an internet retailer who has enough of the old style wrap around mounting plates, of correct overlap measurement, to provide me with new mounting plates in the Nickel Plate finish to replace all the hinges.

Now I will have new hinges mounted on new mounting plates, both pieces the same color, and both pieces using the same mounting holes. Well, almost the same mounting holes for the hinges.

Guess this is the best I could hope for.
Buy extras now, if others break you can bet he'll have sold out.
Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.