Bleaching Peelaway 1 Discoloration - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Bleaching Peelaway 1 Discoloration

Hi Everyone:

I am stripping, sanding, and refinishing a pair of old wood doors. Originally, my wife and I had planned to paint them, so we used PeelAway 1, which discolors wood (PeelAway 7, which does not is significantly more expensive).

Well, we stripped the doors and the wood is in MUCH better shape than we thought. We'd love to stain the doors instead of painting them because of how much better they look. Only problem -- PeelAway wasn't lying about that disoloration. The wood is darker in the places where the PeelAway penetrated all of the layers of paint than paces where the paint didn't get saturated and I sanded it away.

The good news is since we planned on painting all along, we can always go ahead and stick to the plan without this being a big deal...but could I bleach the wood (or a diluted bleach wash) to get a consistent color? I am going to stain them a fairly dark walnut, so it somewhat forgiving, but I need to even up these light splotches.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Cap'n

Advertisement

CaptChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Buying the first round

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptChaos View Post
Hi Everyone:

I am stripping, sanding, and refinishing a pair of old wood doors. Originally, my wife and I had planned to paint them, so we used PeelAway 1, which discolors wood (PeelAway 7, which does not is significantly more expensive).

Well, we stripped the doors and the wood is in MUCH better shape than we thought. We'd love to stain the doors instead of painting them because of how much better they look. Only problem -- PeelAway wasn't lying about that disoloration. The wood is darker in the places where the PeelAway penetrated all of the layers of paint than paces where the paint didn't get saturated and I sanded it away.

The good news is since we planned on painting all along, we can always go ahead and stick to the plan without this being a big deal...but could I bleach the wood (or a diluted bleach wash) to get a consistent color? I am going to stain them a fairly dark walnut, so it somewhat forgiving, but I need to even up these light splotches.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Cap'n
Capt,

I've had very good results bleaching wood (the darker heartwood portions)

There are three types of chemicals for wood bleaching and I recommended the one that is a two part mix. Your local paint store will have it.

But bottom line, you will not know the results until you give it a try. The plus is you are staining with a dark stain so you should have good results.

Advertisement

LIHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #3

Hi everyone:

Just for reference, the bleach (first diluted, then only bleach) didn't cut it. I ended up painting the doors. They look nice, but not as nice as the ones I stained.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptChaos View Post
Hi everyone:

Just for reference, the bleach (first diluted, then only bleach) didn't cut it. I ended up painting the doors. They look nice, but not as nice as the ones I stained.
What bleach did you use?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Hi,

I have an old 1920's cast iron metal fireplace with about 90 years of paint on it. It looks like the fireplace has some decorative features but because of the years of over-painting, much of the detail is lost.

Would peelaway be a good option for stripping the fireplace back to its original state? Has anyone else had any experience of doing this before?
ChrisJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

Cast iron strips well using a regular liquid stripper---If you can protect the area properly use a cheap angle grinder with a wire wheel for the final clean up after the majority of the paint is removed with the stripper.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
What bleach did you use?
Regular Clorox.

Advertisement

Tags
bleach , door , peelaway , stripper