Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

birch cabinet with a hole

I recently inherited an old wash stand cabinet made out of birch. The stand is well over thirty years with alot of wear. On one of the cupboards there is a huge hole. To be exact it looks to be where the hinge once was. I was wondering what would be the best way (without replacing the door) to fix the whole because it is in a noticable place I would like something (no matter how creative or how much effort it takes) as natural looking to the original condition as I could get. The door also has some edge work on it
thanks in advance for any suggestions

MYCABINET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #2

Is the door painted? If so, Bondo auto body filler is absolutely your best bet. Works great for filling holes and cracks that will be painted over.

If the wood is stained can you post a picture of what you're dealing with?

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #3

This is the only picture that i have at the moment (I will post another one of the damage later on) sorry i'm not at home at the moment. On the front right door in the bottom left corner you can kinda see it. I know this probably isn't even worth posting b/c you can't see how bad it is but I am really anxious to find someway to fix it as I think it's a great cabinet. I will post another pic later today, but hopefully this one can help a bit for now?
Thank you
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 14

That is a very nice looking cabinet. Post a better picture of the damage, then we can discuss options for repair.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #5

ok I'm having a very difficult time posting the pictures of the damage close up. if you want I can send them via email

Last edited by MYCABINET; 10-11-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 6

Sorry but that problem cannot be fixed--ship the cabinet to me for safekeeping. Seriously--The cabinet is a keeper for sure. It does appear to have been stained/varnished some years ago and I like that look. Now: you are referring to a "hole" but are you maybe talking about a "mortise", where the wood was cut out for a hinge orginally, maybe newer hidden hinges have been installed, and now the mortise is showing? IF this is the case-and IF you have a cabinet shop, or restoration shop in your area, they may have some veneer material they just might sell to you. I doubt you will ever match this so as not to be seen, if painted--then maybe, but not with that stained look. Using thing veneer you could fill in the mortise area and try to match the stain as close as possible. OR- maybe go back to the exposed hinges for the look that it had orginally, that would be my choice. The have some beautiful exposed hinges today that would compliment the cabinet. Good Luck, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote