Bifold Door Handle Type/placement? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bifold door handle type/placement?

I have just installed two bi-fold doors in a 72" opening that separates my living room from the sun room. i have put handles on the living room side to pull the doors open from that side. What are some suggestions on the handle type/placement to put on the sun-room side to pull it shut from that side? Also, maybe a suggestion for a lock from the sun-room side? Thank you.

Advertisement

rickishomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Simple pull handles are usually supplied with door, they work fine. They are mounted on the hinge edge of the outer door. Locks are a waste of time, but simple catch type latches(hook/eye) will slow down kids.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Hey Rickishomer,
There are a lot of handle options out there that can be used on a bifold door. A lot of people use large cabinet knobs or pulls on the doors. Pick out the right style and finishes and get some 1 3/4 screws to attach them through the door.
Another option is to match the handles that are on the rest of the doors that are in the house. For every style door handle carried at a store they usually have a dummy version of it that just screws on.
In your situation I would put the handles on the middle rail of the two middle doors like the picture i attached.
Hope this helps and good luck! -Gregg
Attached Images

gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I'd consider using a bypass door pull. The kind that you chisel out a little of the door stile and glue and/or screw in. That way it won't hit the other door when open and will be easy to operate when closing
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
I'd consider using a bypass door pull. The kind that you chisel out a little of the door stile and glue and/or screw in. That way it won't hit the other door when open and will be easy to operate when closing
Thank you for understanding the weird way I may have worded it

I did a google search for "bypass door pull" and this pulled up. It's EXACTLY what we needed. Just didn't know the correct words to search!

Thank you so much for the info!
Thank you gotogregg and Just Bill for your input.
rickishomer is offline   Reply With Quote