Bi Fold Door - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bi Fold Door

I just built a closet in my attic that is 48wx60h and would ike to put in bi fold doors. the problem is that I don't want to spend a lot of money for these doors and I am only finding them in 80" lengths. How difficult is it to cut them down to size and do I need to buy a specic type? Thanks for your thoughts

Advertisement

Hunter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Bi Fold Door

Most are so constructed that they will fall completely apart if you try to cut them down that much.

Advertisement

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
A door a day is all I ask

Rewards Points: 75

Bi Fold Door

They are mostly hollow core doors....Wood frame with a few spacers inside to keep door from flexing.
You can cut them down for height but you will have to glue in a new piece to fill the void.
I would cut the top because the bottom will carry the weight of the door on the pivot. Better to
leave that as it was from the factory.

You will mill the top pieces to about 1 1/8" width to fit in space in door...Maybe a little less.
It should be 1 to 1 1/2" thick for strength. Scrape out the glue and cardboard remnants in the
area where the block will fit. put a couple of drywall screws into the top of your board so that you
will have something to hold onto when you insert it into the door. When you get it to fit you
just glue it in place. I use 5 minute epoxy with light clamping. Sets up quickly so you can move
ahead with the project. Drill a new hole for the top pivot usually 3/8" diameter.

One caution: Before you cut it down be sure to do the math for the height. Allow for the bottom floor bracket,
track thickness and the roller and pivots that don't retract into the door. The bottom pivots are adustable for
height so if you take off a little too much in height you can adjust the pivot to lift the door closer to top.

You will have to move the hinges down for the new height. I would do that before cutting doors and leave them
hinged during cutting so that you can will make them the same height.

I probably made it a bit more complicated than it is but it is certainly a doable project.
Good luck!
RC/DG

Last edited by TheDoorGuy; 03-10-2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: typo
TheDoorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #4

Bi Fold Door

Yike! Maybe I'll look into a sloid pine bi-fold. Can the door be elevated? What I am asking is, the clset frame is just that. it is a frame of 2x4's that is 4'x5' so there is a 2x4 on the floor. Can the door track sit on that 2x4?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
A door a day is all I ask

Bi Fold Door

There is only a track across the top for the glides to run in.
At the bottom there is a small adjustable bracket on each side
of the opening that the pivot rides in. No track across opening at all on the bottom.
The brackets should mount fine on your bottom 2x4.

I am not sure what you mean by a solid pine bifold...They do make
all wood bifold doors but they are frame and panel construction that would not cut down well.

You could special order the hollow core door cut down from a local door shop. They might do the work
right in town or order it in from the factory. Really shouldn't be horribly expensive.
As I said in previous post it is important to be sure that the door is ordered to fit inside the opening
when taking in to account the hardware parts.

Good luck!
RC/DG

Last edited by TheDoorGuy; 03-10-2011 at 04:58 PM.
TheDoorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Bi Fold Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter25 View Post
Yike! Maybe I'll look into a sloid pine bi-fold. Can the door be elevated? What I am asking is, the clset frame is just that. it is a frame of 2x4's that is 4'x5' so there is a 2x4 on the floor. Can the door track sit on that 2x4?
I think you can still find Bi-Folds with a bottom track. All the good ones used to be made that way. But as DG said, it is unlikely that anything but the cheap hanger-mounted style will be readily available these days.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
Master of none

Bi Fold Door

Check your measurments. The floor guy gave you all the info you need. If you measure the 80" bifold doors, you will find that they are 78 1/2". They are made to fit standard 80" door openings. You will probably be limited to flat slab doors unless you get them custom made. Check with a door shop or two to see whether the extra cost is worth it.
handy andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #8

Bi Fold Door

Thank you everyone for the tips. I will give it a try. I'm on on for a few days as I am doing electrical work on the room.

Advertisement