Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Better Insulation for 2x4 Walls?

Hi all. I'm currently gutting a 1907 farmhouse and have finally completed the removal of all the lathe and plaster walls & ceilings. The studs are rough 2x4, and while at some point they have blown cellulose insulation in the walls, there are many voids. Time to re-insulate! I live in Central Alberta where insulation is VERY important, so I'm wondering about a higher R-Value alternative when I only have 4" of insulating room. I'm not willing to pull the exterior finish off to apply rigid foam insulation, but can I apply it to the inside? I've never heard of that before, but is it feasible to use 4" fiberglass insulation with 1" of rigid styrofoam and then hang the drywall on to that?

Thanks for any help you folks can give.

whiskeykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,082

I'd go with spray in polyurethane foam. It's pricy but very effective.

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Licensed Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

You have a great candidate for what's known over at the Fine Home Building site as the Mooney wall. A MW is a 2x4 stud wall that is then strapped horizontally with 1x material (1x2). Cross strapping the studs causes a thermal break, or at least reduces it significantly. Nets are installed and cellulose is then blown in. The down side to this, is that a pretty fair amount of prep work is required for trim and electrical.
Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

The spray in poly foam (Icynene, etc) is an awesome product. That would beat most other options.

I have never seen anyone incorporate rigid foam board into a wall stud space. It is typically used in a sheathing application. Cutting it in between studs would be tough, and sealing it would be a chore.

I'd pick a system and go with it instead of trying to combine systems. 4" of cellulose is better than 2" of cellulose and 2" of foam in my opinion.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
The Big Builder

Rewards Points: 25

The poly foam is supposed to be 50% more effective than regular insulation. Go with the majority and spend a few extra bucks on the foam. You can spend the time you save cutting firewood getting ready for the winter.
bigbavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Spray foam! Heck even Mike Holmes (Holmes on Holmes) uses it up your way.
I bought an old farm house built back in 1891 and restored it. the exterior was 1x12 1x8 1x9 what ever they could get there hands on. there were gaps as big as 1" between boards. I installed tyvek taped all seams, and install 1/2 Tuff -R insulating board over. Then installed R-13 Fiberglass insulation. I'm still kicking myself in the a$$ for not using foam.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renovator,LLC View Post
You have a great candidate for what's known over at the Fine Home Building site as the Mooney wall.
Good idea! I just googled it, and you're right, it looks great. A considerable amount of extra work though...
whiskeykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
Licensed Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

They are 2x2s, not 1x2s. Look at this thread http://forums.taunton.com/tp-breakti...es?msg=65624.1

Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote