Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #1

Share |

Best way to make 45 degree mitre jig

I will be installing hardwood skirtboards on a stairway and must mitre the skirtboard at 45 degrees to mate with the riser that also has a 45 degree mitre.

I would like to make a mitreing jig to mitre the skirtboard. The width of the skirtboard is 11 1/2 inches. I was thinking about using a scrap piece of 3/4 inch hardwood and making a 45 degree cut about 8 inches down the board. This in turn would be clamped to the skirtboard to be used as a guide for my 16 tpi handsaw. I could use a circular saw or table saw to make the 45 degree cut for the jig but the kerf would be too large. That is, the handsaw has a very thin kerf and using it in the jig created by a circular saw would just allow too much horizontal play to create an accurate 45 degree skirtboard mitre.

I could use a circular saw to make the 45 degree skirtboard mitre cuts but I still would have to use the handsaw to finish the cut. So, I thought it would be best to just take my time and make all these cuts with a handsaw.

Thus, does anybody have any recomendations for creating this mitreing jig with an accurate 45 degree cut with a very thin kerf?

BobS0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

This is designed for about five inches, but you could make it for any width wood. The idea here is to use the cross piece as a guide for a skillsaw.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to make 45 degree mitre jig-miter-box.jpg  

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
Stair builder

Place the un-mitered skirtboard on the stair in the position for install. Take a scrap piece of riser material about a foot long. On edge cut a notch the witdth of the skirtboard. Place over the skirtboard such that one side is against the carriage, just as if you were installing the riser. Mark the outside of the part hanging over the skirt. Set chopsaw to 45° and cut on the line.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to make 45 degree mitre jig-dscf0857.jpg  
Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Mathewson For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-14-2010), Tom Struble (09-14-2010)
Old 09-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #4

nice Keith
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #5

unless I'm mistaken, isn't he talking about a compound cut?
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:13 AM   #6

I'm a chopsaw rookie. Keith certainly has a good technique for marking the location of the cut but I'm confused how that to use a chopsaw to make a perfect cut all the way to the end of the kerf? Once the chopsaw is set for 45 deg on both angle and miter, the saw only cuts partway across the skirt board. Since the chopsaw has a round blade, won't this still leave a bit of uncut wood on the cut line to clean up with a handsaw?
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
This is designed for about five inches, but you could make it for any width wood. The idea here is to use the cross piece as a guide for a skillsaw.
You could adapt this jig so it cuts a compound miter using a circular saw and finish any inside corner cuts with a hand saw if necessary,
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
Stair builder

You can over cut the skirt slightly because the scotia molding will go under the tread. Mark the width of the molding first so as not to exceed the molding. Or use a handsaw or chisel instead of over cutting.

Here is link to a Youtube showing how to cut a stair stringer with a chopsaw. The same approach works for a stair skirt, just swing the bevel to 45°. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh3AjswZ4Fo

Last edited by Keith Mathewson; 09-21-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote